Gunbuster

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

Levon [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Levon [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:00 am

Soluzar wrote:Did you buy the R2? That's the only place I know that you can get it from... well, except... Image

FansubsImage It was called Gunbuster Renewal.

Originally posted on: 05.17.2006, 01:01 PM

Sushi-X [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Sushi-X [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:00 am

I thought the pacing was just fine when I watched it. I would also have to say that the animation quality of Gunbuster was excellent. It remains as a favorite of mine, and the Gunbuster itself would probably be one of my all time favorite mecha.

Originally posted on: 05.17.2006, 01:08 PM

Soluzar [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Soluzar [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:00 am

Levon wrote:FansubsImage It was called Gunbuster Renewal.

Since you can't buy it in English, I don't blame you. I've only seen the crappy DVD that came out in the UK for some reason.

Originally posted on: 05.17.2006, 01:51 PM

Area88 [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Area88 [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:00 am

Manga only just recently confirmed that they lost the license to Gunbuster.

Click Here to find out what licenses Manga lost

It's rumoured that a company in the US has already aquired both Gunbuster and Gunbuster 2 but won't announce a release until Gunbuster 2 has finished being animated.

Originally posted on: 05.20.2006, 12:24 PM

Char [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Char [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:00 am

Area88 wrote:Manga only just recently confirmed that they lost the license to Gunbuster.

It's rumoured that a company in the US has already aquired both Gunbuster and Gunbuster 2 but won't announce a release until Gunbuster 2 has finished being animated.

Where is the logic in this supposed company's thinking? They need to announce they have the license, so word of mouth can spread and by the time they finally release it, a lot of people will be salivating for it. I 'll be PISSED if they butcher it at all, edit it at all, change the name or anything of the ilk. Robotech.. *shudders*

Originally posted on: 05.20.2006, 12:28 PM

Suiko Eiji [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Suiko Eiji [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:00 am

Area88 wrote:Manga only just recently confirmed that they lost the license to Gunbuster.

That was correct, until a few new licenses were announced at Anime Central around 6 May.

Char wrote:Where is the logic in this supposed company's thinking?

My guess is so they don't duplicate Bandai's mistake with Sentou Yousei Yukikaze. The licensed Yukikaze after the third episode of a 5 episode OAV was released; said they were going to spread it over two discs. They released episodes 1 & 2 by the time episode 4 was released in Japan and then the Japanese company hit production snags on episode 5; the series went on hiatus, and I'm not quite sure there is enough following or support to get the series finished. BEI in the US, though, has held onto the licenses for episodes 3-5 but not released any on DVD, probably because another 2-episode DVD with any possibility of a conclusion pending won't sell well with American consumers.

Originally posted on: 05.20.2006, 01:05 PM

Char [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

So, basically Gunbuster and Diebuster have not been licensed? Or just unannounced? Why not release/remaster Gunbuster and make money off that, and worry about Diebuster later? Gunbuster sure doesn't need Diebuster, does it? Should Bandai have kept their licensing of Yukikaze secret until the final episode was complete? It seems such a shame Yukikaze may not get completed, it's a pretty good show.

Originally posted on: 05.20.2006, 02:20 PM

Soluzar [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Gunbuster needs Diebuster like a fish needs a bicycle.

Originally posted on: 05.20.2006, 02:21 PM

Char [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Soluzar wrote:Gunbuster needs Diebuster like a fish needs a bicycle.

Exactly. Announce Gunbuster already!! Image

Does Diebuster need Gunbuster like a fish needs gills?

Originally posted on: 05.20.2006, 02:28 PM

Suiko Eiji [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Suiko Eiji [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:00 am

Char wrote:So, basically Gunbuster and Diebuster have not been licensed? Or just unannounced? Why not release/remaster Gunbuster and make money off that, and worry about Diebuster later? Gunbuster sure doesn't need Diebuster, does it? Should Bandai have kept their licensing of Yukikaze secret until the final episode was complete? It seems such a shame Yukikaze may not get completed, it's a pretty good show.

Basically, yes, they are unlicensed for distro in North America. What I read this morning a couple of posts back about a "secret" Gunbuster license is the first I've heard about that, period. Not to mention, the license only expired five months ago. I doubt, despite how good Gunbuster I've heard to be, that there was a company basically waiting to pounce on it, only to hide it and keep it secret.

And no, I don't think it's necessarily Bandai's fault for what happened to Yukikaze; I blame it all on the Japanese production company. They palnned for it to be five episodes, yet they've dropped production of that final episode. BEI, seeing a good title (and I don't think Yukikaze is all that bad; a little weird, but good) picked it up. I don't think that anyone at BEI could have forseen being backed into a corner like they have been with this title, but I definately think that holding onto the license and keeping it secret would have been a horrible idea. After all, I've watched the first couple episodes of Yukikaze twice, maybe three times. I'd love to finish the series, but if Bandai licensed it when they did and didn't tell anyone, episodes 3 and 4 would have surely been fansubbed, I would have seen them for free and then had no DVDs to support the industry with. So, I think Bandai did what was best for business, given the circumstances.

Originally posted on: 05.20.2006, 02:33 PM

Char [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Yukikaze will never be finished, will it?

Originally posted on: 05.20.2006, 02:36 PM

Soluzar [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Char wrote:Does Diebuster need Gunbuster like a fish needs gills?

Absolutely. It's rife with historical references to the original "Top Squadron". I'd say that they're going to have to work hard to make it as good as the original, though. I assume they are planning to make it a six-episode OVA to match up with the first, and the latest episode, #04 is the first one to really have much in the way of weight to it.

Overall, it just seems like they let the FLCL, HiMM, and Mahoromatic teams loose on Diebuster. That's not what I was looking for, really.

Originally posted on: 05.20.2006, 02:38 PM

Suiko Eiji [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Suiko Eiji [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:01 am

Char wrote:Yukikaze will never be finished, will it?

It's a Gonzo production, with support from Production IG, and I've noticed lately that the number and scale of productions that they are working on has increased, which could mean ecominical scale shifts within the project, hence being on hold/hiatus.

I've also noticed that the anime was based on a couple of novels, so I would say there is a possibility that it may be popular enough to garner a comeback. I guess it depneds on how many fans of both there are.

Never say never, but at this moment, it may be a little while before we see episode 5.

Originally posted on: 05.20.2006, 03:20 PM

kaos [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby kaos [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:01 am

Char wrote:Yukikaze will never be finished, will it?

DVD 2 (already available)

DVD 3 (release date July 11, 2006)

Originally posted on: 05.24.2006, 04:57 PM

Suiko Eiji [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Suiko Eiji [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:01 am

kaos wrote:DVD 2 (already available)

DVD 3 (release date July 11, 2006)

Not only is it a little odd my info was out of date, but DVD 2 is listed as being published by Media Blasters and DVD 3 is listed as Bandai. Could be a mistake on AN's part, I'll have to check it out some more at home tonight.

Originally posted on: 05.24.2006, 05:02 PM

Area88 [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Area88 [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:01 am

Yukikaze 2 was released by Bandai and is currently available for purcahse.

Volume 3 is out in July and hopefully be coupled with Mave Chan ova.

Originally posted on: 05.24.2006, 05:08 PM

Char [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Char [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:01 am

I actually noticed there was a street date for disc 3 recently, but did not bother kicking this thread up. News of Gunbuster's license status would make me promptly kick this thread up. Still, Yukikaze will bew complete is good news. I' m only hoping that episode 5 is a good end, and hopefully is 40 minutes long like the first episode. It's always funny seeing the first ep at 40, and the next 3 at 20 minutes long each. Is there other anime that follow a simiar pattern? Can anyone tell me if Yukizae episode 5 is 20 or 40 minutes long?
Edit: I'd be surprised and disappointed if the Mave-Chan OVA is not included with Volume 3 of Yukikaze.

Originally posted on: 05.24.2006, 05:19 PM

Char [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Char [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:01 am

http://www.fansview.com/2003/katsucon/021403a.htm
Looks like Manga's employing fat cats and keeping them fat.

Originally posted on: 05.30.2006, 11:04 PM

kaos [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby kaos [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:01 am

Isn't there a "Gunbuster Renewal" that was put out by Gainax? Was that a re-mastered version? It would be nice if Manga picked that up instead of just going with the original show. Or maybe they'll do it when Diebuster is completed...

Originally posted on: 05.31.2006, 11:32 PM

Levon [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Levon [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:01 am

Yeah they released Gunbuster Renewal. Remastered animation, I'm not sure about the sound. My memory is getting bad but I think it had the 6th episode in widescreen with some colored scenes(the ending I believe).

I don't think Manga will do anythingImage The license expired. Another company like ADV seems more likly.

Originally posted on: 05.31.2006, 11:37 PM

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”