What's up with The End of Evangelion?

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

Mr. Tines [ANF]
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:16 pm

Shinjuku wrote:Mission accomplished.

Amen!

Shinjuku wrote:How often does a kid that age get a chance with a real woman instead of little girl?

In Ikari-kun's case, twice. But I don't know that I would have reacted differently at age 14.

Originally posted on: 09-Mar-2006, 08:04 GMT

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:17 pm

Shinjuku wrote:The only thing that really pissed me off was that Misato didn't get to fullfill her promise to Shinji. How often does a kid that age get a chance with a real woman instead of little girl?

We can only speculate on the prospect of Misato re-embodying from the LCL, meeting Shinji again, and being pressed to uphold her promise... Image

Hey, it could happen! Image

Originally posted on: 08-Mar-2006, 21:18 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:17 pm

Shin-seiki wrote:We can only speculate on the prospect of Misato re-embodying from the LCL, meeting Shinji again, and being pressed to uphold her promise... Image

Kaji "Only if I can join in."

And, of course, Misato's dad would do the video-taping.

Originally posted on: 08-Mar-2006, 21:42 GMT

shadowwriterx [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby shadowwriterx [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:17 pm

so was there a point to the harpie eve series eating unit 2?

Originally posted on: 10-Mar-2006, 13:53 GMT

SSJ2Cloud [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby SSJ2Cloud [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:20 pm

lol i still cant belive the end it was kinda dumb. its funny when u see mistao say "that was an adult kiss, we will do the rest when u get back" lmao but overall this is a great movie.

Originally posted on: 10-Mar-2006, 19:00 GMT

Mr. Tines [ANF]
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:20 pm

shadowwriterx wrote:so was there a point to the harpie eve series eating unit 2?

Well, it meant that Kyoko couldn't interfere with Yui's master-plan...

SSJ2Cloud wrote:its funny when u see mistao say "that was an adult kiss, we will do the rest when u get back"

When she knew perfectly well based upon her previous attempt to seduce him that he wasn't rising to that sort of bait.

Originally posted on: 10-Mar-2006, 19:02 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:20 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:Well, it meant that Kyoko couldn't interfere with Yui's master-plan...

There's the possibility that it's one of Seele's wonky "ceremonial" dealios, too.

When she knew perfectly well based upon her previous attempt to seduce him that he wasn't rising to that sort of bait.

Make it pretty easy to push him into the elevator, though. "OMGWTF?!?"

Originally posted on: 10-Mar-2006, 21:14 GMT

shadowwriterx [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby shadowwriterx [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:20 pm

so the meaning of Rei's speech meant that everyone can be born again back the way they were....

Originally posted on: 12-Mar-2006, 18:06 GMT

Mr. Tines [ANF]
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

It means that everyone can re-embody, like Shinji did in ep#20, and he and Asuka have done at the end (and maybe many others elsewhere in the world).

Of course, it does depend on each person wanting to return to this vale of tears. The pyrotechnics at the end may indicate a world more thoroughly wrecked than in 2I, even before the problems with critical infrastructure being kept in place during a piecemeal return.

Originally posted on: 12-Mar-2006, 18:35 GMT

shadowwriterx [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

oh.....so if Misato's will wanted to return ...then she could right......but as for the world itself it cannot be restored

Originally posted on: 12-Mar-2006, 18:40 GMT

Mr. Tines [ANF]
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Misato - or anyone else harvested into Complementation by one of the Rei-tachi, at the very least. The conventional wisdom is that everyone is there in the LCL sea. A more pessimistic reading interprets the red spray from GNR's neck as souls rather than mere blood, those unwilling to return; and perhaps some are travelling along with the crosses that are scattering to the heavens.

Restoring the world - that is an economics and engineering problem, rather than a metabiological one.

It depends whether the SF fans at GAINAX really meant what they showed us with GNR's collapse as to how much physical damage has been done (outside the Hakone area where the Geofront emerged); the rest is the logistical problem or restarting an economy and a workable administration as people return in an uncoordinated manner.

Originally posted on: 12-Mar-2006, 19:05 GMT

shadowwriterx [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

oh.....I get it now.......thanks Image

Originally posted on: 12-Mar-2006, 19:06 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:20 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:Misato - or anyone else harvested into Complementation by one of the Rei-tachi, at the very least.

That'd be every person on the globe -- why would anyone be left out? Including the poor suckers who were trapped in that "Adam-based ecosystem" Down Under and unable to reembody. ("So, Misato, you want to show Daddy all the hawt sex you had with Kaji? Perhaps that can be arranged...")

The conventional wisdom is that everyone is there in the LCL sea. A more pessimistic reading interprets the red spray from GNR's neck as souls rather than mere blood, those unwilling to return; and perhaps some are travelling along with the crosses that are scattering to the heavens.

I still want to know what the frell those crosses are; I don't feel especially committed to anything that's been proposed so far (at least, in my current revisionary mindset). My own suspicion is that there aren't any souls in that spray of blood -- but, that aside, what triggered her neck to suddenly rip open in the first place?

Restoring the world - that is an economics and engineering problem, rather than a metabiological one.

When Yui-sama says, "Don't worry", she means it. Image

Just glancing at the script (i.e., without doing any actual work): They're standing on a watery surface (you can see their little <3-shaped shadows rippling) that's reflecting the clouds above, and the bodies below them are... corpses.

"The water's surface turns to earth."

Originally posted on: 12-Mar-2006, 23:16 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:21 pm

(Is that Misato's car? :checks: Whoops, no it isn't.)

[img]http://www.evageeks.org/ANF-Archive/images/../images/O6GKOCSDJO1T2GNBFQN0MBRO7-m26_C421_mid.jpg [/img]
Wait a second... Aren't some people missing?

Originally posted on: 12-Mar-2006, 23:17 GMT

Seele08 [ANF]
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Seele08 [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:21 pm

Yeah Reis is hardly there, Gendo, Kozo, and Keel are nowhere to be found.

Originally posted on: 13-Mar-2006, 00:16 GMT

Treize X [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Treize X [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:21 pm

Yui and Kaworu are also missing.

Originally posted on: 13-Mar-2006, 01:30 GMT

Mr. Tines [ANF]
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:21 pm

Reichu wrote:That'd be every person on the globe -- why would anyone be left out?

By being too far gone on the day - a problem of temporal, rather than geographic, reach. Shekinah is no Promethea.

Reichu wrote:When Yui-sama says, "Don't worry", she means it. Image

Working from an admittedly small sample, there is no sign that she has fixed up human nature. A piecemeal return would result in anarchy, disruption of logistic channels, starvation, and a return to the primitive and not in a good way.

Reichu wrote:what triggered her neck to suddenly rip open in the first place?

Whatever causes such beings to fall apart into chunks of meat. Suppression of the AT field holding ver together, like we saw before Rei absorbed Adam, perhaps?

Originally posted on: 13-Mar-2006, 06:08 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Mr. Tines wrote:By being too far gone on the day - a problem of temporal, rather than geographic, reach. Shekinah is no Promethea.

I don't get the Promethea reference. (Too lazy to look it up. Image ) And, just to be technical, I wasn't aware temporal stuff was any impediment as far as Lilith and her Uber-Powers were concerned. Image

I'm not sure what your objection here is. By "every person on the globe", I mean "every person on the globe"... That means the recently deceased (Kaji included; he's there in Instrumentality World), along with everybody who had to be killed for the purpose. We have no idea what happens to the souls of those who have been dead for a while -- Ex-Metaphysical Biology Professor Fuyutsuki might know. The only ones that I'm going to put any stakes on are Dr. Katsuragi and his buddies in the magenta-colored broth:

(You know one thing -- they ain't floating in no LCL.)

Working from an admittedly small sample, there is no sign that she has fixed up human nature. A piecemeal return would result in anarchy, disruption of logistic channels, starvation, and a return to the primitive and not in a good way.

I don't think fixing human nature was ever Yui's interest, but the implications of her words (along with those of the other two Seeds) and the sequence I referenced earlier (floating corpses --> bustling street + group photo) seem fairly explicit.

Whatever causes such beings to fall apart into chunks of meat. Suppression of the AT field holding ver together, like we saw before Rei absorbed Adam, perhaps?

I'm really not sure. When Shekinah falls apart, there is no blood-letting, just like when Rei's arm dropped off. (Although the latter managed to lose her limb as if all but the bone were neatly sliced through.) But the disintegration of Shekinah is preceded by that enigmatic "invisible chainsaw to the jugular". Well, the only way it's ever going to make any sense is by firmly establishing the context, I would imagine.

Seele08 wrote:Yeah Reis is hardly there, Gendo, Kozo, and Keel are nowhere to be found.

I wouldn't expect Keel to be there -- everyone in that image is both somebody Shinji knows and a member of the main cast. (Keel happens to be one of the few named characters who doesn't count.)

The script describes the photo as, "A keepsake photograph of the main characters (taken during brighter times, around #15, with everyone smiling)". Kind of weird -- when the heck would have circumstances permitted a group photo like this? My own inclination is to think that this is not literally a "keepsake photo", but something more symbolic in nature.

Also, the fact that precisely four members of the main cast (the Honda illustration produced for the LD provides a very clear picture of who "counts", methinks) are missing seems rather suspicious.

Three of them were around for this:

(Incidentally, the script says of this cut, "Shinji is surrounded by the people he knows".)

Although there are two pairs of lovers in the crowd, only one stands together:

Originally posted on: 13-Mar-2006, 20:48 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

The last member of the Missing Quartet...

...is absent from EoTV altogether, despite being present inside Lilith, manifest at Gendo's "retribution", and also there at the end of EoE with the other two "Divine Mothers"* to disseminate some final words of guidance to Shinji-kun:

And, during this last segment of the film, Kaworu only appears after the "LCL Sea" turns aqua, if that means anything.

At any rate, we know for a fact what happens to one of the missing persons:

...but what about the other three -- her soul mate, her dearest friend, and her "mother"*?

I dunno about you, but I think something fishy** is going on.

* Yui=Eva, Kaworu=Adam, Eva is made from Adam, thus... Kaworu is Yui's mom! Image
** No, not THAT fishy.

Originally posted on: 13-Mar-2006, 20:49 GMT

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:21 pm

Reichu wrote:Image

The script describes the photo as, "A keepsake photograph of the main characters (taken during brighter times, around #15, with everyone smiling)". Kind of weird -- when the heck would have circumstances permitted a group photo like this? My own inclination is to think that this is not literally a "keepsake photo", but something more symbolic in nature.

Indeed. Altho this "keepsake photo" depicts the gang in a somewhat idealized past situation (i.e. before Toji loses his leg, and all sorts of other bad stuff happens), the details of how some of the characters are shown here indicates that this pic was drawn with the events of EoE in mind.

For example, we have Aoba right next to Rei, but he seems to be a bit glum, and for some reason is looking away from her.

Originally posted on: 13-Mar-2006, 13:18 GMT

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”