The Problem of Second Impact, or, Sloppy Writing is Sloooopy

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

AnonymousEvafan [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby AnonymousEvafan [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:13 pm

Reichu wrote:I-don't-think-you'd-like-them.

They ultimately derive from my various hallucinations about Dr. K., such as his left hand being important in that weird cross-reference-with-Gendo-in-#26' sort of way.

Yeah keep that away from me!

For the rest of it I'll PM or email you later about it. It's madness I really need to organize.

Originally posted on: 02.11.2007, 06:28 AM

corncopp6 [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby corncopp6 [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:23 pm

Those writers can?t write...

Originally posted on: 02.11.2007, 06:41 AM

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:23 pm

AnonymousEvafan wrote:Yeah keep that away from me!

Some good ol'-fashioned paternal parallelism ain't good enough for ya, eh?!?

You're no fun at all.

For the rest of it I'll PM or email you later about it. It's madness I really need to organize.

We need to put you on some of my happy pills before this gets any more severe.

corncopp6 wrote:Those writers can?t write...

Crappy writers are craaaa--

Er, nevermind.

Originally posted on: 02.11.2007, 10:06 AM

AnonymousEvafan [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby AnonymousEvafan [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:23 pm

Reichu wrote:Some good ol'-fashioned paternal parallelism ain't good enough for ya, eh?!?

You're no fun at all.

I know about those Akira/Keel fantasies of yours and all I can say is: Image

We need to put you on some of my happy pills before this gets any more severe.

Naw, I kicked the habit years ago. It's just that this theory is horribly out of order and needs to be prettied up for presentation purposes.

Originally posted on: 02.11.2007, 10:43 AM

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:23 pm

AnonymousEvafan wrote:I know about those Akira/Keel fantasies of yours and all I can say is

Non sequitur?

Originally posted on: 02.11.2007, 11:04 AM

AnonymousEvafan [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby AnonymousEvafan [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:24 pm

OMG I think I just got it! DARN YOU REICHU! I didn't want any mental pictures like that. I had assumed Akira was doing something nasty with Keel from the I-don't-think-you'd-like-them but now I get something totally different from that tease, if it can be called that.

Originally posted on: 02.11.2007, 11:23 AM

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:24 pm

Since I was (someway economically) talking about Aki--, er, I mean, Dr. K's left hand (and associated Bloody Glove, by implication) being a (potential) point of emphasis, he and Gendo getting blatant Parallelism treatment in the narrative, and Gendo doing weird hand-things as part of the proceedings for Third Impact... Well, needless to say, your brain fished out certain nasty mental images* without any real help from me this time. Image

But now I'm wondering what it is you "get" from "that tease"...

* Oh yah, and just so it's on record, I haven't seriously advocated that ever since I returned to normal levels of insanity. (But it does make for fantastically ****ed-up fanfic fodder.)

Originally posted on: 02.11.2007, 12:02 PM

AnonymousEvafan [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

I didn't actually have any mental images about Dr. K and Keel. I saw Dr. K and I-don't-think-you'd-like-them and jumped the gun on the matter.

I don't know if I reallllly want to post what poped into my head involving Dr. K and Adam though. Needless to say from the implications I doubt Adam would be happy about such things.

Originally posted on: 02.11.2007, 12:11 PM

Katayoku no Tenshi [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Katayoku no Tenshi [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:24 pm

One day your going to have to out this in words that the rest of us can understand.

Dr. K's left hand (and associated Bloody Glove, by implication) being a (potential) point of emphasis, he and Gendo getting blatant Parallelism treatment in the narrative, and Gendo doing weird hand-things as part of the proceedings for Third Impact

You mean ... Image
I don't think my brain is made to understand this... If your saying what I think your saying then the logistics are a bit off erm. *waits for sense*

Originally posted on: 02.11.2007, 12:43 PM

AnonymousEvafan [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Katayoku%?7;Tenshi wrote:You mean ... Image
I don't think my brain is made to understand this... If your saying what I think your saying then the logistics are a bit off erm. *waits for sense*

Yeah, the logistics confuzzle me too!

Originally posted on: 02.11.2007, 12:54 PM

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

AnonymousEvafan wrote:I didn't actually have any mental images about Dr. K and Keel. I saw Dr. K and I-don't-think-you'd-like-them and jumped the gun on the matter.

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh okay.

I don't know if I reallllly want to post what poped into my head involving Dr. K and Adam though. Needless to say from the implications I doubt Adam would be happy about such things.

Well, judging from Adam's reaction, what happened couldn't have been anything extremely pleasant.

But, seriously, how many ways can a deity be Touched By a Lilim? The only real requirement, from what I can tell, is that we need physical contact, of the sort that would send the donor's genes "diving" (however that works) and doing all that 'immaculate conception' magic. The "physical fusion" seemed to be something the Team was counting on in their little experiment, for some reason. The why -- well, what are the chances that Anno knows?

Incidentally, in what I think is an earlier draft of the #21' dialogue (mostly the same, but a couple of things are different), jintai (literally "human body") is there instead of "donor".

EDIT: On another aside, jintai jikken ("human body" + "experiment") means "experiment(ation) on a human body", "human experiment(ation)", "testing on a living person", etc. I dunno, I just thought it was interesting, however tangential.

EDIT:

AnonymousEvafan wrote:
Yeah, the logistics confuzzle me too!

"Logistics"?

This is "Evangelion" we're talking about here.

This all reminds me of an idea I had for a fan-art I (thankfully?) never drew, which had Adam conveniently shrunken down to somewhat-larger-than-Lilim scale, inert and with limited restraints, and Dr. K buck-naked and doing the unspeakable. Misato's in the background being forced to look on in horror by some random expedition team member. There was supposed to be dialogue for it, too.

%?3;%?E;%?0;%?E;%?4;%?B;%?5;%?B;%?0;%?E;%?5;%?A;%?7;%?A;%?3;%?0;%?E;
%?C;%?7;%?5;%?4;%?E;%?6;%?A;%?0;%?6;%?A;%?9;%?8;%?7;%?B;%?6;%?0;%?E;
%?F;%?2;%?6;%?D;%?6;%?E;%?B;%?5;%?D;%?4;%?A;%?9;%?1;%?7;%?D;%?0;%?3;%?7;%?0;%?D;%?2;%?5;%?7;%?3;%?A;%?0;%?E;

Misato "Father! What are you doing?!"
Dr. Katsuragi "Contact! It's a Contact Experiment, ain't it?"
Loudspeakers "The sperm from the donor is diving into Adam!"

The Japanese version has a pointless pun that swaps out %?2;%?9;%?1; (idenshi - "genes") with %?9;%?1; (seishi - sperm).

Ignore the above. Please.

Originally posted on: 02.11.2007, 12:57 PM

Magami No ER [ANF]
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Magami No ER [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:24 pm

^And then a sister piece would HAVE to have chibi Misato's face close up, and in the reflections of her eyes, Katsuragi's legs raised in the air. A sign of things to come...Image
Zomg parallelismistic111 with pre-instrumentality.

Sorry I felt the need to chime in.

Originally posted on: 02.11.2007, 07:28 PM

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Magami No ER wrote:^And then a sister piece would HAVE to have chibi Misato's face close up, and in the reflections of her eyes, Katsuragi's legs raised in the air. A sign of things to come...Image

That would probably work better with Dr. K. and, ah, somebody else. "My father? He did this?!?"

In before declaration of thread hijack and back on topic bitches. (But my PM box is always open for anybody who shares my interest in subjecting criminally underdeveloped characters to intense levels of deviant perversion.)

Originally posted on: 02.11.2007, 08:17 PM

Tom Servo [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Tom Servo [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:25 pm

Something clicked in my head just reading one of the responses to the opening post.
2nd Impact resulted in a large explosion, the child rate decreasing year on year.
Later on while nerv is messing around with their super solenoid in eva-03 or 04 it results in a adamesque explosion, differing in scale obviously. Ritsuko mentions it has something to with the dirac sea.
So, did the 2nd Impact have something to do with the dirac sea as well?

What I'm saying is that the 2nd Impact opened the doors to the chamber of guf in the wrong manner, like busting a dam the souls 'flew out' for want of a better term, resulting in a massive release of energy (like in atom smashers? hm?)

Later on the S2 explosion at one of the nerv branches seems to be of a lesser magnitude, perhaps because there are less souls to 'fly out'. Less of the negative essence that composes the dirac sea to interact with the positive essence of this plane, similar to how antimatter and matter react to one another.

When Shinji later finds himself in the dirac sea he finds it to be... completely empty! Just like the chambers of guf...

The shape implied by the word super solenoid reminds me of:

from the occult science book laws of light, which talks about how light is spiralled into these above shapes like eddies in a river to create matter, consciousness, souls, and all the rest of it. Would be funny if it showed up in the rebuild project.

Originally posted on: 02.23.2007, 05:30 PM

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:25 pm

Tom Servo wrote:Later on while nerv is messing around with their super solenoid in eva-03 or 04 it results in a adamesque explosion, differing in scale obviously. Ritsuko mentions it has something to with the dirac sea.

That is the top piece of speculation -- i.e., we're probably supposed to assume that's what actually happened there.

There was in fact no explosion. The key word is "vanish".

What I'm saying is that the 2nd Impact opened the doors to the chamber of guf in the wrong manner, like busting a dam the souls 'flew out' for want of a better term, resulting in a massive release of energy (like in atom smashers? hm?)

Adam opening her Doors provides a link-up to the Angels "awakening" and hatching 15 years later. The stuff about 'thermal dampening' (or whatever) hasn't really been addressed, but, that aside, the massive energy is the result of an S2 gone mad, not any strange Guf stunts.

Later on the S2 explosion at one of the nerv branches seems to be of a lesser magnitude, perhaps because there are less souls to 'fly out'.

The souls that "fly out" at 2I are those of the indigenous lifeforms, due to Adam's big, bad AATF.

When Shinji later finds himself in the dirac sea he finds it to be... completely empty!

I just thought that there was nothing in there the Eva's sensors could 'perceive'.

Judging by the stuff that flies out of Leliel when EVA-01 shoots, they could have been in some byway of the grand LCL Sea, kyufufufu.

Just like the chambers of guf...

Exactly what Ritsuko's comment means is subject to severe fanwanking.

Adam's wouldn't be empty unless she was only filled up with a paltry 15 souls at the station, but nevermind that.

The shape implied by the word super solenoid reminds me of:
from the occult science book laws of light, which talks about how light is spiralled into these above shapes like eddies in a river to create matter, consciousness, souls, and all the rest of it.

That's rather interesting (and cool-looking). It actually reminds me of the bizarre "The world is made of spirals" bit from the Classified Information, too.

What's that negative/positive/whatever-the-third-image-is all about?

Originally posted on: 02.24.2007, 02:23 PM

Tom Servo [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Tom Servo [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:25 pm

Reichu wrote:Adam opening her Doors provides a link-up to the Angels "awakening" and hatching 15 years later. The stuff about 'thermal dampening' (or whatever) hasn't really been addressed, but, that aside, the massive energy is the result of an S2 gone mad, not any strange Guf stunts.

Meself finds it hard to swallow that:
Adam's S2 meta-organ goes into overdrive resulting in a large explosion,
whereas the test-type S2 tested by nerv results in something completely different with the dirac sea. In both sequences there's a large red disk or light (when adam unfolds his wings and the satellite views of the nerv facility later on... as an aside when leilel's microthin body erupts or breaks apart a red glow can be seen as well).

What you say about the souls belonging to those around the actual second impact rather than the souls from the chamber of guf makes sense, as we see the same thing later on with the AATF in EoE, which I didn't think of.

Regarding the negative/positive/whatever-the-third-image-is all about, the positive/negative inversions = positive/negative charge.
The third image is one helix of the fundamental particle shown in the other images, it's showing how that helix is made up of smaller helixes, which are made of smaller helixes... which are made of smaller helixes... which are... uh, made of smaller helixes. It's sort of like a cross-section showing the structure in more detail is all.
There are three of these fundamental particles for each quark according to later theosophists, so they're really small.
Our hearts are coils of muscle that look similar to those images, and our brain's mammalian cortex unfolds around the brain stem in a spiralling manner too.

Originally posted on: 02.25.2007, 03:24 PM

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”