The Dead Sea

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:20 am

Thanks. I can't wait to get it out. Heh heh. Image

Just a little correction to make, since I enjoy admitting when I'm wrong. Image

OMF wrote:I'm not so sure if the reason for Second Impact's range was due to the AATF. This could simply have been a limitation of Adam's alone. There just wasn't enough energy on earth to completely wipe out the Lilim.

Reichu wrote:The line isn't there for absolutely no reason. I wouldn't disregard it so quickly.

After further consideration, I've determined that what you said is not completely off-base, but you didn't mention what I think is the actual reason why Adam wouldn't be completely able to annihilate LDOs by herself: Her A.T. Field isn't as strong as Lilith's. The Katsuragi Team's efforts certainly helped limit the range of effect from what it could have been, though.

Originally posted on: 27-Jan-2006, 02:23 GMT

Seele08 [ANF]
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Seele08 [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:20 am

I've been wondering lately about the line the scientists yell "its spreading its wings!". Whats so significant about the wings, do they serve a purpose in part of the "soul collection" process? Or are they part of the AATF?

Originally posted on: 27-Jan-2006, 02:25 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Seele08 wrote:I've been wondering lately about the line the scientists yell "its spreading its wings!". Whats so significant about the wings, do they serve a purpose in part of the "soul collection" process? Or are they part of the AATF?

http://animenation.net/forums/showp...93&postcount=25

Originally posted on: 27-Jan-2006, 02:29 GMT

Seele08 [ANF]
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Seele08 [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:20 am

But what role do those wings play? The pylons are there to restrain them, but how do the effect the capability to initiate 3I?

Originally posted on: 27-Jan-2006, 02:32 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Like it says, they represent a manifestation of power. The more wings, the more power. Adam's four wings corresponded to a level of power that produced an effect covering the South Pole. GNR's twelve wings corresponded to a level of power that affected the entire planet. Likewise, when the baton is passed to Yui and she gets the twelve wings, she, too, is able to have a global effect, although, for her, the wings ultimately have MUCH deeper implications.

Originally posted on: 27-Jan-2006, 04:27 GMT

K2Grey [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby K2Grey [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:20 am

The manifestation of giant wings in anime is traditionally linked to upcoming huge explosions, so it's reasonable for the scientists to worry when the wings start spreading.

Originally posted on: 27-Jan-2006, 19:50 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Eh, can you provide any references? Reichu wants to know, dammit!

In NGE's case, it'd only be linked that way to Adam. In the other two cases, it's just two wimminz making a big Impact on da world. (Not that Adam doesn't, but she's the only one who involves a huge-arse explosion.)

Originally posted on: 28-Jan-2006, 08:48 GMT

Seele08 [ANF]
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Seele08 [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:21 am

K2Grey wrote:The manifestation of giant wings in anime is traditionally linked to upcoming huge explosions, so it's reasonable for the scientists to worry when the wings start spreading.

Evidence? Every anime known to mankind. Another thing that tends to come with anime characters/monsters/final bosses/mecha sprouting wings is kick *** battle theme music. See: One Winged Angel. Estuans interes mira vehementi....

Originally posted on: 28-Jan-2006, 08:52 GMT

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:21 am

Seele08 wrote:Evidence? Every anime known to mankind. Another thing that tends to come with anime characters/monsters/final bosses/mecha sprouting wings is kick *** battle theme music. See: One Winged Angel. Estuans interes mira vehementi....

Only examples that precede NGE chronologically count, you know, otherwise they might just be imitating it...

Originally posted on: 28-Jan-2006, 08:56 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:21 am

Make that,
Estuans interius ira vehementi
Sephiroth! Sephiroth!
(repeat)

Sors immanis
Et inanis
(repeat)

Etc., etc. Thankfully, in "Advent Children" it FINALLY has unique lyrics that aren't repetitive as hell. But, hey, if Handel could do it, why not Uematsu?

Originally posted on: 27-Jan-2006, 21:10 GMT

Fuzzy Chickens [ANF]
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Fuzzy Chickens [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:21 am

Reichu wrote:GNR's twelve wings corresponded to a level of power that affected the entire planet.

I heard somewhere that the original plan was for GNR to have even more wings than that, but it proved too hard for the animators.

Then again, I may have learned this from the Commentaries of evil. Does anyone know what the truth is behind this story?

Originally posted on: 29-Jan-2006, 22:47 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Fuzzy Chickens wrote:I heard somewhere that the original plan was for GNR to have even more wings than that, but it proved too hard for the animators.

Then again, I may have learned this from the Commentaries of evil. Does anyone know what the truth is behind this story?

As far as I am aware, there is no substance of truth to this whatsoever. Unless you have something material to back it up, I would just disregard it. I have the storyboards, the script, and the groundwork, and there is absolutely no sign that this was the case.

Plus, the Twelve Wings As Symbol of Divinity were set up from the very beginning.

http://www.evageeks.org/op/OP_C001b_b_big.jpg
http://www.evageeks.org/op/OP_C017_f_big.jpg

Originally posted on: 30-Jan-2006, 00:16 GMT

K2Grey [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby K2Grey [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:21 am

If OWA isn't unique then where are the lyrics from, then?

The only ones I recognize are "Estuarius interius, ira vehementi" which is right out of Carmina Burana, although it's not necessarily that creative as a whole Image

Originally posted on: 30-Jan-2006, 00:32 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

K2Grey wrote:If OWA isn't unique then where are the lyrics from, then?

The only ones I recognize are "Estuarius interius, ira vehementi" which is right out of Carmina Burana, although it's not necessarily that creative as a whole Image

They're all extracts from Carmina Burana somewhere. Too lazy to look it up again myself. "Do da Wiki!"

Originally posted on: 30-Jan-2006, 01:27 GMT

Seele08 [ANF]
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Seele08 [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:21 am

Yeah they all come from various parts of Carmina Burana, I actually new enough Latin to realize this when listening to it. I beleive that the "Veni veni venias ne me mori facias" phrase acutally comes from a song about a lover beckoning is sweetheart to him.

Originally posted on: 30-Jan-2006, 03:17 GMT

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”