"Hating" endings

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Vulkurt
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Vulkurt » Wed Nov 03, 2004 1:36 pm

Hate, like everything else, is relative. People hate taxes, people hate brussel sprouts, people hate [insert religion here], people hate their hair, people hate EoE.

Language is a funny thing. You can take the most meaningful concepts, and by mere repetition, you diminish its relevance. Or, you put it in a lesser context (We recently discussed this in a class - when you can trivialize something, it ceases to have symbolic power. You can have Jesus selling wine in a commercial).

It used to be that it was considered bad manners or incorrect to say you hate something when you merely disliked it. My mom always used to say that to me. "Don't say hate." But, when you can say "I hate my cell phone reception" and "I hate our current political climate" in the same conversation, the word then becomes rather meaningless.

I hate this discussion.
Done. Guarding.

Dark FireStar
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby Dark FireStar » Wed Nov 03, 2004 2:38 pm

Thats why I say our word have no meaning but what we make it mean. Words can be twisted to mean somthing they dont and something they do. Lies become truths and truths become lies. (Lieing is my job.)
Don't ban me for a limited time! Either ban me for good or let me be. (I only hold grudges for a few years lol)

Olin of Xephon
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Olin of Xephon » Thu Nov 04, 2004 12:44 am

I think that's your anger talking Olin. I seriously doubt ANYONE would be mad because a movie was better than they thought it would be.

Actually no, that was not angry Olin, I honestly have had so many expierences where people get mad because the movie was more then they expected it to be.

I do have to work on my wording though. I didn't mean to say people hate movies that exceed their expectations, I mean to say people have some pretty mundane expectations.

There are a lot of anime fans who prefer Gundam or Nadeisco to Evangelion because it's "less confusing."

What I was trying to express was my frustration at how a large number of people don't go to movies for Art or Philosphy, or beauty or creativity.

They go so they can sit in front of a screen and kind of turn off their brains for awhile. (how else can movies like The Fast and the Furious or White chicks get made?)

I guess I find some people's expectations dumbfounding.

Like the person at the top of the thread who "hates" Eva but prefers the TV ending. Or people who don't like movies because there is "to much talking" (it's called plot development) or "not enough action" (as in not every five minutes)

Of course, that's just my opinion, and flawed because I have my own set of unreasonable expectations.

Hmm...I guess it depends on your tastes, but I have a hard time beliving people would want the TV ending of eva over the movies, or Dawn of the Dead over 28 days later.
I asked "And where would you take me?"
At this the beast laughed, tears made of my mother's blood leaked from his eyes.
"I will take you to every place you never wanted to be, and you will hate it."
"Then I will take you to every place you've already been, and you will hate that also."
"Last I will take you to the places you have always dreamed of, and that you'll hate worst of all."

Dark FireStar
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby Dark FireStar » Thu Nov 04, 2004 3:55 pm

Olin of Xephon wrote:Hmm...I guess it depends on your tastes, but I have a hard time beliving people would want the TV ending of eva over the movies, or Dawn of the Dead over 28 days later.

Dawn of the Dead is better than 28 days later in my opinion.
Don't ban me for a limited time! Either ban me for good or let me be. (I only hold grudges for a few years lol)

Olin of Xephon
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Olin of Xephon » Fri Nov 05, 2004 12:27 am

Excellent illustration Dark Fire Star! :lol:

The problem lies with me.

Maybe this whole thread has it backwards.

What do you think Evamonkey? Is the question not "why does this man hate End of Eva" but "why do we like it so much?"
I asked "And where would you take me?"
At this the beast laughed, tears made of my mother's blood leaked from his eyes.
"I will take you to every place you never wanted to be, and you will hate it."
"Then I will take you to every place you've already been, and you will hate that also."
"Last I will take you to the places you have always dreamed of, and that you'll hate worst of all."

Dark FireStar
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby Dark FireStar » Fri Nov 05, 2004 3:39 pm

The reason we like it so much is because there is Action, Adventure, horror, Boobies, and Mind #uckingness. :lol:

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

•      
  •      

Postby the_seventh_child » Sat Nov 06, 2004 3:03 am

Dark FireStar wrote:The reason we like it so much is because there is Action, Adventure, horror, Boobies, and Mind #uckingness. :lol:

oh well DFS speak for yourself..some other like it for other reasons..
Anime and manga unite us all. Much better than the Olympics. - Carl Horn |11.30.2004.
"As of this moment, we are changing from soldiers to pirates!" - Captain Jeffrey Wilder (Macross Frontier #22)

sadsadshinji
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby sadsadshinji » Mon Nov 08, 2004 9:35 am

er...such as the philosophy? and how it forces you to explore your mind?
or is that under mind f&cking?

Dark FireStar
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby Dark FireStar » Mon Nov 08, 2004 2:04 pm

ummm i think phliosophy errrrr i guess Mind #uckingness i think

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”