Kaworu Nagisa and the Imaginary Monoliths

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

Seele08 [ANF]
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Seele08 [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:24 pm

Not this assisine thread again....more controversy over a glitch....christ on a cracker

Originally posted on: 21-Mar-2006, 21:34 GMT

LuigiHann [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby LuigiHann [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:24 pm

I could care less about the number of monoliths; I'm more concerned about Seele calling the Angels "True" and humanity "false" inhabitants of Earth. Maybe if Seele had planned to kill off humanity and let the Angels be, that'd make sense, but it seems to contradict their requirement to kill off all the angels before 3I can occur. I just think a lot of the lines in the scene seem out-of-character for Seele, and am curious as to what the reasoning is behind it.

Originally posted on: 21-Mar-2006, 22:24 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:24 pm

LuigiHann wrote:I could care less about the number of monoliths

Any particular reason?

I'm more concerned about Seele calling the Angels "True" and humanity "false" inhabitants of Earth. Maybe if Seele had planned to kill off humanity and let the Angels be, that'd make sense, but it seems to contradict their requirement to kill off all the angels before 3I can occur. I just think a lot of the lines in the scene seem out-of-character for Seele, and am curious as to what the reasoning is behind it.

Well, about the "true vs. false successors" -- in a sense, it's true. Adam's the first human on Earth, and the planet would have belonged to her offspring if Lilith hadn't crashed the party. "Just say it like it is."

And, after thinking about it a little bit... it might be time to pull out this old correlation.

Rei:Gendo::Kaworu:Keel

Gendo attempted to use Rei as a tool to fulfill his dream, at the expense of her own free will. Could the same be said of Keel and Kaworu? It seems pretty logical to deduce that Kaworu was effectively raised by Keel, and probably "maintained" in a similar way as Rei. Kaworu had been experiencing life on the Seele side of things -- and his default loyalties thus appear to be with them. And, as part of the aforementioned "maintenance", the entire truth was withheld from him.

Seele simply "sending him to die" doesn't seem to account for everything, by a long shot. I'm getting the sense that Kaworu was to accomplish some task that would go towards Seele's "hope". However, we aren't given any details about what exactly this "hope" is, and if they are even telling Kaworu the truth about their plans. I suspect not.

There's something very funny going on... and Kaworu seems to only realize it after figuring out that the crucified giant isn't the restored body of his former self. (Why this wasn't obvious to him by Lilith's appearance alone, I have no idea... Mysteries.) The fact that he had been deceived in some way, and only then knew what was "really up", seems to be reinforced by a subtle visual cue:

Not with me? It's all in the eyes. To exemplify, here's a cut from the scene at the lake:

Notice any difference?

The cut after Kaworu gasps "Lilith!" seems to be the only one where his pupils are clearly defined. Is this to mark the "lifting of the veil"?

It's beyond me why his eyes would be back to normal afterwards -- but it's something to think about, anyway.

Originally posted on: 21-Mar-2006, 23:56 GMT

Seele08 [ANF]
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Seele08 [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:24 pm

Well the monolith irregularity continues, in the opening stages of the Raising Shinji Ikari Project manga scans there are ten monoliths shown, and in the latest scans of volume ten there are 13 monoliths. It seems Gainax just can't keep track of how many monoliths are in SEELE.

Originally posted on: 07-Apr-2006, 22:42 GMT

Dr. Hoffman [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Hoffman [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:25 pm

The cut after Kaworu gasps "Lilith!" seems to be the only one where his pupils are clearly defined. Is this to mark the "lifting of the veil"?

have you been reading books by HP blavatsky or something? isris unveiled and all that jazz. your as annoying as her too.

Originally posted on: 08-Apr-2006, 16:59 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:25 pm

Dr. Hoffman wrote:have you been reading books by HP blavatsky or something? isris unveiled and all that jazz.

Never heard of said person. I just made it up on the spot.

your as annoying as her too.

I live to serve.

Originally posted on: 08-Apr-2006, 17:02 GMT

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”