What REALLY motivated Ritsuko to turn against Gendo in #23

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:15 pm

Naoko is the one who had the Yui issue. Ritsuko had spent some time around Gehirn before she went to went to college and later joined the organization, so she presumably would have met Yui at some point -- the Yui that her mother had her panties in a bunch about, that is -- but that's it.* The show seems to make it extremely clear that Ritsuko's deal is with Rei and her guardian/puppet-master....

Cesternino wrote:What exactly is the Rei-clone-room? It's in central Dogma, but I've heard all sorts of theories about it, the most common being that it is connected to the Chamber of Guf.

The Reiquarium has absolutely nothing to do with the Chamber of Guf. "The Chamber of Guf was empty" line is in reference to why Rei 2+ lack souls. It wasn't empty when Rei 1 was born, which is why she started out with one. (When she was killed, it was salvaged into Rei 2, then Rei 3, and finally returned to its owner.)

I'll explain when I'm actually prepared to publicly tackle the Chamber/Doors of Guf and everything that comes along with them. Suffice to say, that isn't now.

And if you don't get why Ritsuko was naked -- did you read the thread? Image

*Ritsuko is, however, intimately acquainted with Yui's Now and Future Self. Obviously.

Originally posted on: 09-Feb-2006, 02:21 GMT

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:15 pm

Cesternino53 wrote:3.Finally, why was Ritsuko naked when she was being questioned by Seele? I'm sure this has been answered hundreds of times, but I just don't get it.(It's one of those things that you know your really close to getting, but don't.) Thank you kindly. I'll enjoy hearing why all my theories are completely wrong. Image

^Did you read this part of this thread (post #153, in particular)?

Originally posted on: 09-Feb-2006, 14:20 GMT

Polaryzed_123 [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Polaryzed_123 [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:15 pm

Shin-seiki wrote:^Did you read this part of this thread (post #153, in particular)?

A little tidbit that may help support your theory a little more Shin-seiki is the fact that she IS naked. We did not see what happened before her little peep show to SEELE, but was have to assume that she didn't take her clothes off herself. I know that I don't usually go into a meeting and strip down to my kibbles n' bits. So at some point before we see Ritsuko someone had to remove her clothes, and most likely forcibly. Image

Whether or not there was an actual "rape" is something that I can't comment on yet, but it leaves the door open for that kind of opportunity.

Originally posted on: 09-Feb-2006, 15:31 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Polaryzed_123 wrote:Whether or not there was an actual "rape" is something that I can't comment on yet, but it leaves the door open for that kind of opportunity.

Well, Seele having their toadies forcibly remove her clothes to "humiliate" her, and leaving it at that, is, IMO, a pretty naive conclusion to jump to, all things considered... And, sort of like the way a lot of people "don't want to go there" with Misato/Shinji (in the same episode), it involves fudging around various rather blatant tipoffs as to what was really going on.

But, yeah, give it some thought.

Originally posted on: 09-Feb-2006, 19:03 GMT

Mr. Tines [ANF]
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:15 pm

Reichu wrote:Well, Seele having their toadies forcibly removing her clothes to "humiliate" her, and leaving it at that...

Agreed. People should reflect back upon current events in the spring of 2004 - and then think "SEELE aren't signatory to any international conventions".

Originally posted on: 09-Feb-2006, 19:19 GMT

Polaryzed_123 [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Reichu wrote:sort of like the way a lot of people "don't want to go there" with Misato/Shinji (in the same episode)

You need to keep in mind Reichu, that not everyone can speak Japanese, so we are at the mercy of someone else's translation interpretation. In the English dub Misato says "All I can do is be here for you." Which does not imply (at least to me) that Misato wants to try and give Shinji the only thing that she thinks makes her happy (and likewise the person she's doing it with). The subbed version is a little more ambigous, "Shinji-kun, all that I can do for you is this." From that one might see that she is trying to have hawt secx to make him feel better (and again as a bribe in 25'/26' I forget which).

I'm trying to take this like the noob I am Image, at face value first. But this is off topic so....

Mr. Tines wrote:Agreed. People should reflect back upon current events in the spring of 2004 - and then think "SEELE aren't signatory to any international conventions".

True. Everyone's perception of confinement should be different after such a public display of disgusting reality. However, I am just reserving my judgements on this until I can go through the facts myself and draw my own conclusion on what the show is telling us. That's all.

Originally posted on: 09-Feb-2006, 19:55 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Polaryzed_123 wrote:You need to keep in mind Reichu, that not everyone can speak Japanese

What gave you the idea that I can? Image

Oh, you don't mean speak speak. Gotcha.

so we are at the mercy of someone else's translation interpretation. In the English dub Misato says "All I can do is be here for you."

The subbed version is a little more ambigous, "Shinji-kun, all that I can do for you is this."

The subs would = ka-ching. (They said "Shinji-kun"...?) My own diagnosis, over here, is pretty much the same thing: "Shinji-kun. Right now, this is all I can do for you." FGC will be dissecting everyone's FAVORITE lines, sometime or another, since most fans don't know any Japanese (at least, any besides fan-geek basics) and it's a much-needed asset for a lot of reasons, methinks...

This is just one line, besides. You've got an entire series' worth of Misato to take into account. (Not to mention everything else in that scene!!!)

From that one might see that she is trying to have hawt secx to make him feel better (and again as a bribe in 25'/26' I forget which).

It's her issues; it's got nothing to do with Shinji. He's her multi-purpose tool. And, in this case, "I'm the one who's lonely."

But I digress. If you want to see some of the stuff we've done on the past on this particular topic, I can dig up some threads and PM you.

However, I am just reserving my judgements on this until I can go through the facts myself and draw my own conclusion on what the show is telling us. That's all.

Reserving judgments is a good approach, and it's one I wish more people would take.

But I should warn you NGE is not designed to be an open-ended "choose-your-own-adventure". Anno-tachi are telling an extremely defined story, and it will only make sense in entirety if you manage to figure out its rules, play by them without discrimination, and fit EVERYthing together in a logical and internally consistent manner. Which is one horrendous task, obviously.

If the above is something you already know, then pay it no mind. Image

Originally posted on: 10-Feb-2006, 08:32 GMT

Polaryzed_123 [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Reichu wrote:But I should warn you NGE is not designed to be an open-ended "choose-your-own-adventure". Anno-tachi are telling an extremely defined story, and it will only make sense in entirety if you manage to figure out its rules, play by them without discrimination, and fit EVERYthing together in a logical and internally consistent manner. Which is one horrendous task, obviously.

This is the part that I'm trying to get a firm grasp on. I've been reading a LOT of these threads (from start to finish even), and I really need to get a handle on these rules, and fit all the pieces together. Its driving me nutz!

I'll keep quiet now. Image

Originally posted on: 10-Feb-2006, 08:56 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

I'll attempt to compile them on FGC at some point: What they are, why they work, various other reasons you should buy into them, and the Bad Things that happen when people don't. Shin-seiki is responsible for a lot of them, but others are just common sense, or listening to the creators or the show itself, even. Certainly, I think an in-depth "guide to interpreting NGE", with all of those examples and refs, is a good idea, since I don't think it's fair for anybody to have to accept my word, or anybody else's, blindly. (And dishing out the explanations again and again becomes... well, you know.)

But, yes. That will come later. "Good things are worth waiting for."

Originally posted on: 10-Feb-2006, 02:20 GMT

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”