The NGE Fan-Geeks Commentary Project

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

LuigiHann [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby LuigiHann [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:50 pm

Speaking of the Geektionary, the link there to the Thumbnail Theater zip is dead.

Originally posted on: 14-May-2006, 01:17 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:51 pm

LuigiHann wrote:Speaking of the Geektionary, the link there to the Thumbnail Theater zip is dead.

How'd you notice that already?...

K, fixed.

Ugh. Update. Needed. So. Bad. Must. Keep. Working...

Originally posted on: 14-May-2006, 03:41 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

It's hard to know what the hell to do first when your list is so damned long...

Over here, OMF finally reappeared and made a suggestion:

OMF wrote:My main suggestion at this point is for everything else to be dropped and the commentary to be resurrected. If trudging through obsure mathematical tomes has taught me one thing, it's that you get nowhere by simply sitting about thinking. You have to do something if you really want to understand. My gut tells me that through creating the commentary, we will gain new insights into the show that would otherwise be impossible to realise.

So let there be commentary pages. We can create them. We have the technology. Or at least, we will once Reichu gives me the spec.

Reichu wrote:By everything else being dropped, does that include NGE2 translation?

OMF wrote:Most definitely. I could relate tales of manys the long night lost in a futile effort to grasp unintelligable and tersely worded theorems, but I will simply leave it at; "We learn by doing".

I suppose that may not be such a bad idea at this point... If nothing else, we can put up the unfinished work in its current state, with rockthing's translations if I haven't devised anything more refined, and I can pick away at it "as inspiration dictates"... since I'm about as ADHD as they get. Someone would need to throw it together, though.

So, um... Once I get this little update I keep on talking about out of the way, should making the forum operational be top priority? Image We (= anyone who still gives a crap about FGC) are going to need to discuss a lot of stuff, since a relaunch equates to "****load of matters to attend to all at once". One of the reasons I dread it so much.

And this is probably something you've gone over with me before, OMF, but what's the "spec" you refer to above?

Originally posted on: 24-May-2006, 02:40 GMT

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:51 pm

The reason I advocated concentrating you efforts on the NGE2 was that it was a finite, doable project. You're better situated than I am to assess how much more of your time and effort it would take to finish it. If you're getting burned out on it, them don't force yourself, but I would think that getting the Commentary up and running is going to be even more work, and, unlike the NGE2, it would be a project without any clear end in sight.

Originally posted on: 24-May-2006, 02:54 GMT

thewayneiac [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:51 pm

Shin-seiki wrote:The reason I advocated concentrating you efforts on the NGE2 was that it was a finite, doable project. You're better situated than I am to assess how much more of your time and effort it would take to finish it. If you're getting burned out on it, them don't force yourself, but I would think that getting the Commentary up and running is going to be even more work, and, unlike the NGE2, it would be a project without any clear end in sight.

Don't discourage her. I say give the commentary top priority. It's been over 14 months since the first post in the episode 4 commentary.

Originally posted on: 24-May-2006, 19:26 GMT

Mr. Tines [ANF]
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:51 pm

I keep nudging - ep#5 part 1 has been nearly ready for months now - but perhaps just one more heave might do the trick.

Originally posted on: 25-May-2006, 08:25 GMT

Treize X [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Treize X [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:51 pm

I suggest commentary - shelve NGE2 for later, at this time.

Originally posted on: 24-May-2006, 23:22 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

"I know you're overwhelmed... but you're responsible for much more than yourself, you know? I mean, 14 freaking months! Get with the program, already!" Image
"Yeah, yeah... Reichu knows." Image

...... Image

Just kidding. But a bucket of water would be useful here and there.

Originally posted on: 25-May-2006, 00:14 GMT

OMF [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby OMF [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:51 pm

Reichu wrote:And this is probably something you've gone over with me before, OMF, but what's the "spec" you refer to above?

For that commentary creation application I was talking about. Actually, I'm not sure if I mentioned that yet.

I take it by NGE2 translation, we're not talking about simply the classified information? Has Reichu taken it upon herself to translate the entire game?

I think the commentary is the best thing to work on in any case. I think the main benefit will be to get people creatibe juices flowing, and perhaps even lure a few old pike out from their lairs. Once the collective NGE community builds up momentum, I think creativity will follow.

Originally posted on: 25-May-2006, 00:39 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

OMF wrote:For that commentary creation application I was talking about. Actually, I'm not sure if I mentioned that yet.

I think you mentioned it to me once or twice... but my brain probably won't be ready for a change in methodology until #06. Image

I take it by NGE2 translation, we're not talking about simply the classified information? Has Reichu taken it upon herself to translate the entire game?

Nope, just the CI. I need to finish grooming rockthing's translation (as it's problematic in places), but I run into a lot of tough patches, and it's been notoriously difficult to find human help willing and able to answer questions. (The place with the most potential, a professional translators' mailing list, humored by first batch, then promptly 'neglected to respond' to anything else...) Probably due to the source material being so hideously otaku.

If I stopped letting myself get hung up on trouble-spots and just noted them for the future, I'm sure it wouldn't take me that long to finish applying spit 'n' polish. These things tend not to take very long once I apply myself, but I am a woman of a 1,000 distractions...

I think the commentary is the best thing to work on in any case. I think the main benefit will be to get people creatibe juices flowing, and perhaps even lure a few old pike out from their lairs. Once the collective NGE community builds up momentum, I think creativity will follow.

I dunno if it's just (or at least partially) because I'm the one drowning in resources for FGC, but I've found that I've been having the exact opposite problem: inundation with ideas, to the point where my mind's been taken far off the 'public charts'. That's made it easier to get disconnected, as it were, since I get caught up the flurry of rapid-firing neurons and lose a sense of exactly "where everyone else is".

Anyway, 'nuff ranting. I have too many things to do.

Originally posted on: 25-May-2006, 01:16 GMT

Ornette [ANF]
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:51 pm

Reichu wrote:Nope, just the CI. I need to finish grooming rockthing's translation (as it's problematic in places), but I run into a lot of tough patches, and it's been notoriously difficult to find human help willing and able to answer questions. (The place with the most potential, a professional translators' mailing list, humored by first batch, then promptly 'neglected to respond' to anything else...) Probably due to the source material being so hideously otaku.

If I stopped letting myself get hung up on trouble-spots and just noted them for the future, I'm sure it wouldn't take me that long to finish applying spit 'n' polish. These things tend not to take very long once I apply myself, but I am a woman of a 1,000 distractions...

I think the easiest thing to do (and I think you suggested it somewhere else too, maybe I'm imagining things) is to leave the big problem areas with footnotes and finish all the easy stuff. Since the translators mailing list seemed to have neglected to respond, maybe some of the people here who understand Japanese may be able to give some input. I'll even make rockthing check the thread every so often (internet connection pending). Then at some later time in the future, you can comb the thread and finally put up a finished version somewhere (like here and the FGC).

Of course, I'd love to see the Commentary start up again, it just seems (to me anyway, but I wouldn't really know) with the NGE2 CI being so close to a finished state, would be a shame to put it on the backburner. Having most of it posted, with the footnotes or sections marked "need help here" or something, would be awesome IMO, seeing as how the more juicier sections are towards the end. And then I wouldn't have to quote rockthing's translation whenever I want to cite references from the CI Image

Originally posted on: 29-May-2006, 08:38 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:52 pm

^ Yes. I like the thought of closure. A Reichu who cannot even get through the goddam NGE2 CI is no Reichu capable of putting her captain's cap back on.

Alright, sweethearts. I've uploaded updates for Supplemental Images (duh), and, more important-like, the Geektionary (THANK GAWD) and Omake. Please take a look and make sure I haven't fudged up anything huge. There is some other stuff lying around that I really need to just get off my HD (two PCPs, for example), but this will suffice for today.

One thing specifically: Here, do the images show up as a bulleted list in Firefox for anybody? They're supposed to, but my browser is still choking on it (tho the coding minion says it works).

Originally posted on: 03-Jun-2006, 00:16 GMT

zx06 [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby zx06 [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:52 pm

The bullets show up fine for me in firefox. There are a few small things in the omake section. Woman Solicits Penguin For Sex! links to the Zero-head image and the rollover is off on the links (it's one line higher though easily overcome). Looking foward to more.

Originally posted on: 03-Jun-2006, 00:35 GMT

Ornette [ANF]
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:52 pm

Reichu wrote:One thing specifically: Here, do the images show up as a bulleted list in Firefox for anybody? They're supposed to, but my browser is still choking on it (tho the coding minion says it works).

hmm. Firefox 1.0.8 Linux i686, The links starting from "Food Court: all Gainax parodies" and ending with "???: Darth Gendo" kinda mess up the link highlighting. Looking at the HTML, it looks like you're using Definition Lists <dl>, which (technically) require a <dt></dt> (the title) and a <dd></dd> (the definition). These links are missing a <dd> field, I downloaded the HTML, added <dd>&nbsp;</dd> and it fixed the problem, but that leaves this blank space underneath each of the links.

Originally posted on: 03-Jun-2006, 01:52 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Oh gawd... Just sat here in very un-Reichu-like manner cleaning up CODE (Reichu + code = ?!?!?) in the Geektionary because IE was being picky where Firefox wasn't. (<dl> <dt> <dd>, I don't even really know what the heck those actually mean. Image ) Hopefully that fixes up any entry alignment problems in Internet Explorer. (Although there are other ones that I don't know how to fix.)

zx06 wrote:The bullets show up fine for me in firefox.

Alright, time for me to do some inspection work on my end. Image

There are a few small things in the omake section. Woman Solicits Penguin For Sex! links to the Zero-head image

Oh dear.

and the rollover is off on the links (it's one line higher though easily overcome).

I did notice a problem with the anchor-links. For example, this puts "Just paying my dues to this..." at the top of the page rather than the line just above, "Evil Manga Kaworu <etc>". Is this happening to you?

Looking foward to more.

NOES! DON'T SAY THAT!

Oh, if by "more" you mean "the things that are already more or less done", then that's okay. Image </ambiguous>

EDIT:

Ornette wrote:hmm. Firefox 1.0.8 Linux i686, The links starting from "Food Court: all Gainax parodies" and ending with "???: Darth Gendo" kinda mess up the link highlighting.

Hmm... Better leave this one to Steve, once he gets back.

RANDOM: "Swiss Army Spear" seems to have started clamoring for its own entry recently.

Originally posted on: 03-Jun-2006, 01:56 GMT

Mr. Tines [ANF]
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:52 pm

Ornette wrote:Looking at the HTML, it looks like you're using Definition Lists , which (technically) require a (the title) and a (the definition).

Technically, it is valid HTML to have several <dt> elements attached to a single <dd>; though the definition then strictly refers to all the title elements preceding it (which is a slightly different meaning to how it is actually being used). Bullets are then added on this page as a list counter CSS generated content for non-IE, and by script injection of a literal string for IE <= 6.

Alas, Reichu's HTML editor is a little flaky with <dl> lists, so, after I've caught up on everything from a happy week mostly off-net, I shall have to get out Notepad, and be a good little minion.

Originally posted on: 04-Jun-2006, 17:13 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Mr. Tines wrote:Alas, Reichu's HTML editor is a little flaky with lists, so, after I've caught up on everything from a happy week mostly off-net, I shall have to get out Notepad, and be a good little minion.

To be fair to DreamWeaver, I think that a lot of the problems stem from me (= teh n00b) going into the coding and making additions and edits to the page by attempting to emulate what's already there. Sometimes I can't figure out how to make DW's WYSIWYG editor do the things you've implemented (or I've just been too 'lazy' to find out Image ), or it just doesn't cooperate otherwise -- but sometimes I screw up. Image I think I fixed a lot of my own flubs in the Geektionary, though.

Originally posted on: 04-Jun-2006, 17:45 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

I received an interesting ultimatum from Dr. Nick today: Either the slightest intimations towards "femme-Kaworu" are completely obliterated from the site now and forever*, or he is gone from the project for good. (There is more to the attitude problem than this, though.) When confronted with the rather lame options of "selective enforced censorship" and "loss of long-trusted and valuable colleague", which would you choose?

* Save for the capdoc images: "...you're allowed to keep those; I don't see them problematic outside the context of forum assholiousness".

Originally posted on: 19-Jun-2006, 03:39 GMT

CanonRAP [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby CanonRAP [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:52 pm

Reichu wrote:I received an interesting ultimatum from Dr. Nick today: Either the slightest intimations towards "femme-Kaworu" are completely obliterated from the site now and forever*,

Just from you, or from everyone???

Wait, you pretty are the only one...

or he is gone from the project for good. (There is more to the attitude problem than this, though.) When confronted with the rather lame options of "selective enforced censorship" and "loss of long-trusted and valuable colleague", which would you choose?

It really is your choice, isn't it? We (...I) don't completely know how important Dr. Nick is to you Image.

Ah, now I've gone and made myself feel useless. Foo.

Originally posted on: 19-Jun-2006, 04:22 GMT

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:52 pm

I wonder why he finds that notion (which, to be sure, I still don't buy one bit, and don't really anticipate that my mind is likely to change either) so offensive. It's a pretty strange idea, and one that frankly speaking, is not likely to gain much long-term traction on this forum, much less the NGE fan community at large, but hey, we've all advocated some odd ideas and theories in the past that didn't stand up to peer scrutiny and feedback. I'm just mystified as to why he sees this one particular issue as deserving of such a harsh stance. I certainly agree that we all would benefit from getting the Good Doctor back on board, especially since the Commentary Project seems to be on the verge of revival. I can't help but remember tho, that back when Reichu seemed to want to banish anti-A/S shipping from the Commentary, we all (Dr Nick included) thought that was a bad idea, one that would set an unfortunate precedent, so I wonder why he now wants to advocate something comparable in this case. I think that as long as Reichu makes it clear that this is just a pet theory of hers, and is not remotely to be considered canon, nor does it at all represent the consensus of this forum, then I don't see the harm in mentioning it at the appropriate time (when we get around to doing #24). But if it comes down to it, maybe we should just humor him in this regard.
I would like to invite Dr Nick to come back to the forum, and allow us all, if he so wishes, to discuss and hash out together whatever issues have been alienating him for the past months...

Originally posted on: 19-Jun-2006, 04:29 GMT

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”