Eva is number one according to Newtype readers...

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Ayanami
Sachiel
Sachiel

Eva is number one according to Newtype readers...

•      
  •      

Postby Ayanami » Wed Nov 03, 2004 6:13 pm

Sometime over the summer, Newtype USA magazine put out a message telling fans to vote for what they thought the #1 anime was. Well, the results are in, and according to fans, Evangelion is it!

I just got my November Newtype today, and I was very excited to see that Eva has withstood the test of time (to be deliberately corny). I'll try scanning the article. In addition, the centerfold is a beautiful Yoshiyuki Sadamoto drawing of Rei in her plugsuit, with Unit-01 in the background, and on the other side is a TV stillshot of all three Units ready for battle. I'll see if I can scan that too.

So... yay!
Close your eyes and listen hard

Dark FireStar
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby Dark FireStar » Wed Nov 03, 2004 6:31 pm

WOW thats awsome!! Please scan them ASAP!! :P
Don't ban me for a limited time! Either ban me for good or let me be. (I only hold grudges for a few years lol)

MAGI
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby MAGI » Wed Nov 03, 2004 6:37 pm

Wow! This is beautiful news! :D
ココにいても、いいの?
Is it okay for me to be here?

ChronoX
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby ChronoX » Wed Nov 03, 2004 7:18 pm

interesting. never thought that EVA would win an award in a time like this, so far from its original release date. Cartoon Network ought to put it on the air again. Either that or i need to get anime network for my tv
"We are born, meant to die. If I am to die, then let it be with a sword in my hand, my enemies at my feet, and my blood on my body. Come forward, come forward, come forward! And let us all meet in bloody combat."-The Rose Lord, William Rose.

Ayanami
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Ayanami » Wed Nov 03, 2004 7:59 pm

[url]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/Faye-Faye/evap2.jpg[/url]
[url]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/Faye-Faye/evap1.jpg[/url]

Well, aren't you all in luck. I actually already scanned the pages. But since I didn't have the patience to scan the centerfold, you'll just have to wait a little while. One of the pages didn't come out all the way for some stupid reason, and some of the text got cut off, so I've just rewritten what was on the page here for you. You're welcome. :P

---

The history of anime can be neatly divided into two eras: before Evangelion, and after.

Up until October 1995, anime had continued to grow as both a mass-market medium and a pop-culture art form. Ten along came a whiny child, an overbearing father, a collection of lanky mecha and an inspired assortment of bizarre alien attackers, all set within a postapocalyptic Tokyo that (on the surface, at least) didn't appear all that different from our world-- and suddenly, everything was different.

Neon Genesis Evangelion simultaneously caught the eye of culture critics, hardcore enthusiasts and casual viewers, forever changing the way people see cartoons. Borrowing some of the best elements from past mecha shows and infusing it all with a postmodrn existential and religious brew, Evangelion signaled a revolutionary leap forward for anime. Sure, the series touched upon themes that could spur numerous doctoral theses, bu it was also extraordinarily amusing, packed with intense action, gut-wrenching plot twists, gripping character development and gorgeous artwork.

To this day, Evangelion remains one of the top-selling, best-loved, most-debated series ever released. And it's your pick for the greatest anime series of all time. If you've seen it, you already know why it's No. 1. If you haven't, well... what are you waiting for?

---

So, again, yay! Oh, and if you're interested, here's the list for the 24 other winners. Psh, like we really care. :P (Kidding)

2. Cowboy Bebop
3. Inuyasha
4. Rurouni Kenshin
5. Trigun
6. Fruits Basket
7. Robotech
8. Ranma 1/2
9. Love Hina (my comment: ONLY nine? I think it deserves better than 9... >.>)
10. Sailor Moon
11. Hellsing
12. FLCL
13. Fushigi Yugi
14. Chobits
15. Akira
16. Tenchi Muyo!
17. Azumanga Daioh (my comment: yay! Although I think Azumanga should have been higher up as well)
18. Initial D
19. Dragon Ball Z
20. Vision of Escaflowne
21. Full Metal Panic!
22. Gundam Seed
23. Wolf's Rain
24. Cardcaptor Sakura
25. Excel Saga (my comment: WTF? It was the 25th best anime? Totally should've gotten a better ranking)

MongolSquad
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby MongolSquad » Wed Nov 03, 2004 8:41 pm

I'm kinda suprised Eva got #1 anime, I expected maybe something else. But why did Inuyasha beat out FLCL? In my opinion Inuyasha has been milked of all it's glory and FLCL is a much better, I think it's a work of art sometimes.

Gilgamesh
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Gilgamesh » Wed Nov 03, 2004 8:47 pm

I put the centerfold up on a wall in my room.

Evangelion was the only good choice on that list. I honestly don't take it very seriously. I might have, if Haibane Renmei or Texhnolyze had been on the list. Otherwise it's not really what anime is good, just what anime is "popular."
A person...is a shadow which we can never penetrate, of which there can be no such thing as direct knowledge, with respect to which we form countless beliefs, based upon words and sometimes actions, neither of which can give us anything but inadequate and as it proves contradictory information-a shadow behind which we can alternately imagine, with equal justification, that there burns the flame of hatred and of love.
-Marcel Proust, In Search of Lost Time

Dave
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Dave » Wed Nov 03, 2004 8:48 pm

Hah! Eva beat Bepop! Take that you stupid Evangelion hating losers (I've found that everyone who hates evangelion, and has seen cowboy bepop, loves cowboy bepop.) FLCL should have been the 12th WORST title of all time! And I agree with all your comments Ayanami; Saga, Daioh, and Hina all should have been higher. I guess the majory of people who voted were extremely fond of the action anime genre, because the top 5 fit into that genre quite well. (HOW THE HELL DID SAKURA BEAT EXCEL SAGA? I mean I like cardcaptor and all, BUT BETTER THAN EXCEL? Never! Hail Il Palazzo!
Beatus vir qui suffert tentationem.

Ayanami
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Ayanami » Wed Nov 03, 2004 10:11 pm

Gilgamesh wrote:I put the centerfold up on a wall in my room.

Evangelion was the only good choice on that list. I honestly don't take it very seriously. I might have, if Haibane Renmei or Texhnolyze had been on the list. Otherwise it's not really what anime is good, just what anime is "popular."

I agree, many of the series that are listed on there are pretty much there just because everyone watches it, not necessarily because it's good. Haibane Renmei should have been on there. It's boatloads better than Inuyasha, at least. It's a lot more interesting, and invokes a lot more feeling, not to mention the gorgeous artwork, and great storyline.

But anyway... I don't like to bitch about stuff like that. The important thing here is that Eva won! Yaaay!

coff
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby coff » Wed Nov 03, 2004 10:15 pm

I don't know why this is suprising to some of you, given the popularity of Eva. And it hasn't been that long since it first aired. You guys are talking like it's 30 years old.

sadsadshinji
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby sadsadshinji » Wed Nov 03, 2004 10:55 pm

welll..its been a lot longer than a lot of others...
and if they aired it on CN then it would be soooo censored...

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Wed Nov 03, 2004 11:22 pm

sadsadshinji wrote:welll..its been a lot longer than a lot of others...
and if they aired it on CN then it would be soooo censored...

It was already aired on CN and horribly censored.

coff wrote:I don't know why this is suprising to some of you, given the popularity of Eva. And it hasn't been that long since it first aired. You guys are talking like it's 30 years old.

The thing to keep in mind is that the viewing trends for anime here are much different than in Japan. A show like Cowboy Bebop or FLCL can remain popular for years after it came out over here, while over in Japan, no one could care less about them after they stop airing on TV. However a show like Evangelion, which ceased being aired years ago is still popular, even among Japanese is an achievement. Very few anime programs can claim that after a decade they're still popular in Japan, and Eva is one of them. Popularity is definitely much more potent in the western market, however compared to the average show in Japan that has ended, Evangelion's fandom is considerable.

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Thu Nov 04, 2004 12:12 am

Hay some of us do like bebop and eva you know?!?! Their two entilry diffrents ends of the anime spectrum and its easy to see why some people love one and hate another.

And as for Eva being populare still face it it like Ghost in The Shell or Akairi somthing that love it or hate it evenry anime fan has sceen at least once.
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Thu Nov 04, 2004 1:34 am

What a surprise. Bebop, InuYasha, and Trigun. "Well, I saw two episodes of this one, so I'll vote or it."

J/K, I like them too.

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

•      
  •      

Postby the_seventh_child » Thu Nov 04, 2004 7:29 am

So Eva is the first,that's very cool..
i'm surprised that Sailor Moon is number 10 on the list and Kenshin 4..
Anime and manga unite us all. Much better than the Olympics. - Carl Horn |11.30.2004.
"As of this moment, we are changing from soldiers to pirates!" - Captain Jeffrey Wilder (Macross Frontier #22)

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Nov 04, 2004 9:01 am

I'm surprised that there's not GitS on there... Or Gundam, for that matter.

But anyway, that poll doesn't mean much to me, being as I didn't vote on it. :P
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Olin of Xephon
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Olin of Xephon » Thu Nov 04, 2004 1:47 pm

Yeah, Evangelion remains really popular. I'm not too surprised it got top place.

Although Inu Yasha is no where on my personal top 25 list, what is it people like about that show so much? Nothing wrong with it, way better then some of the stuff out there, but people LOVE that show. What's up?

I agree with the article, it was Evangelion that was responsible for anime becoming as main stream as it is...Not that I've ever met a person who likes Evangelion. (except on the internet of course)
I asked "And where would you take me?"
At this the beast laughed, tears made of my mother's blood leaked from his eyes.
"I will take you to every place you never wanted to be, and you will hate it."
"Then I will take you to every place you've already been, and you will hate that also."
"Last I will take you to the places you have always dreamed of, and that you'll hate worst of all."

Dark FireStar
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby Dark FireStar » Thu Nov 04, 2004 3:30 pm

Wow some of my favriotes came through!
3. Inuyasha
4. Rurouni Kenshin
5. Trigun
20. Vision of Escaflowne
23. Wolf's Rain ( didnt see the whole seris, but what I saw I liked.

That sucks that Dual didnt make the list though> :cry:
Don't ban me for a limited time! Either ban me for good or let me be. (I only hold grudges for a few years lol)

ChronoX
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby ChronoX » Thu Nov 04, 2004 6:35 pm

im kinda suprised that gundam wasn't there though. maybe next time though
"We are born, meant to die. If I am to die, then let it be with a sword in my hand, my enemies at my feet, and my blood on my body. Come forward, come forward, come forward! And let us all meet in bloody combat."-The Rose Lord, William Rose.

Dark FireStar
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby Dark FireStar » Thu Nov 04, 2004 6:38 pm

I lost intrest in gundam after like the 10th one.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”