Commentary: Episode #01

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

OMF [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby OMF [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:27 pm

Umm? Is this still open to additions? I just got a few random musings.... *reaches for wad of papers in upper jacket pocket*. Ahem, you may need to glance at the commentary while reading these. In advance, I apologise for my mostly incoherant babblings. Image

022: Straight from Hamlet. The ghostly girl who appears from nowhere, and is gone. So ominous. It definitely gives a "Something is rotten in the state of Toyko-3!" impression.

047-048: You know, the whole design of the car, and especially Misato's sunglasses, always remind me of Doc Brown in Back to the Future, away to whisk our clueless hero off on a whirlwind sci-fi adventure. "Shinji! You got to come back with me!", "Back where?!", "Back to your Father!", "... this is heavy."

064: We'll see a shot very similar to this in 25'

072: Though it's a little ambiguous (and what isn't in this series), I think he's staring at Misato's cross.

100: The start of a nice scene, which gives us our first hints at Shinji's prudish nature, and Misato's more carefree attitudes, and contrasts them quite well.
102: Note that we glance at her thighs, Shinji doesn't.
103: Misato, is a very silly person.
104: The theft of the batteries is still bothering him (probobly more so than the radiation exposure).
106: Misato quite rightly couldn't care less. She far to preoccupied with more important matters(like her car!)
107: He's not satisfied with her excuses. Shinji's rather inflexible morals will become more evident as the series progresses.
108: She's already exasperated by his mood. She makes, what is to her, a fairly innocuous comment...
109: ...and Shinji is taken aback. He's totally unused to such talk. Misato spots it right away, and pounces!
110: Shinji is highly disapproving of such behaviour. He really is an arch prude.
111: Misato is simply amused by his reaction, and she can't resist giving one last jab.
124: He reproaches her for what he sees as inappropriate behaviour.
125: And of course here we se that dispite her tendency to tease, Misato can't take her own medicine...
126: ...and is prone to rather explosive outbursts. All in all, a nice little scene

146: Or perhaps Shinji is simply NOT a topic for discussion with Gendou.

149: It's interesting to watch Shinj's growing anxiety about his impending encounter with his father. I think it's obvious to the audience at this point that they have a less than perfect relationship.

153: Shinji's anxiety is gone at the beginning of this shot, replaced with a determined look. Why, we won't find out until episode 20. (So just be patient!)

156: I love the red scribbles over Gendou's handwriting as well. Shinji must have really been furiously frustrated on recieving it.

159: Does he say "My father's work" out loud, or is he just thinking it. Either way he doesn't look too thrilled to be reading it.

165: It's interesting to contrast Shinji's reaction here, to his reaction in 197 when he first sees the Eva. Again, we'll find out the reason for this in episode 20.

172: Revealing little line from Shinji here. Dispite his introverted nature, he is surprisingly observant. You can never take for granted that even the most trivial of details has passed him by.

184: A young man, stuck in an elevator, with two grown women appraising him like a spare room they're intending to renovate. Things probobly won't get this psychologically damaging for Shinji again until 26'!

187: Ritsuko's look here demands critical attention, given future revelations. It's likely she was extreamly curious about Shinji, as Gendou probobly never breathed a word about him. Maybe this explains why she hasn't changed out of the swimsuit?! What a tease!

189: Fuyutsuki is well aware of Gendou's poor relationship with Shinji. Even more so than Akagi as we'll see in the next episode.

197: Again, contrast with 165. At first he is simply surprised, and then, he look's a little worried. He suspects something.

200: Shinji is definitely not enamoured with the sight of Unit One. Also watch how he frowns as he makes the connection between Gendou and Unit One, only to cringe at the very sound of Gendou's voice.

203: In spite of all the courage he has tried to muster since arriving, Shinji still can't face his father, coldly staring down at him. It's important to remember that this scene is NOT about Shinji getting into the Eva.

(Side Note: This scene always puts me in mind of The Raven, by Poe. Gendou standing in the gallery above is sort of like the raven "On the pallid bust of Pallas just above my chamber door". A silent stare that is torturing Shinji, making him face demons he'd rather not. And like the raven repeating "Nevermore", no matter how many times, or ways that Shinji calls out, Gendou will not be his father, and responds only with negative demands for him to get into the Eva, or leave. God that was corny wasn't it.)

218: Watch carefully. Gendou and Shinji actually TRY to bond in the next few cuts. It's heavily obfuscated, but it's there. Both are carefully probing. Shinji starts it here, with a question he already knows the answer for.
219: Gendou responds as expected. Shinji asks another question, this time practically answering himself.
220: Gendou responds, again as expected.
221: Shinji rejects the obvious, then throws Gendou's behaviour back in his face...
222: ...and now Shinji reaches out. He wants Gendou to want him.
223: Gendou now makes a reconciliatory gesture. Shinji seeks confirmation. Gendou gives it to him.
224: Now Shinji goes looking for something more, he's seeking support.
225: But Gendou passes it onto someone else.
226: Shinji's not accepting that. He pushes his luck.
227: But Gendou's having none of it.
228: The conversation is over.

245: Misato tried, but she's really just second fiddle. Without Gendou, he not getting in there.

263: This shot really shows something important. Dispite his own misery and self-pity, Shinji really does hate to see others get hurt. He really is considerate.

286: Very revealing. Shinji cares a great deal about others. He actually runs over to aid someone in distress.

288: Ominous shot here. He doesn't know why she's injured, but he glances back at the eva anyway. It's likely that even at this early stage, Shinji suspects much more than he lets on, even to himself.

293: Shinji's finest hour. He won't get another one like this. By the time Tokyo-3 is finished with him, it'll be all he can do choke out tears of whats left of his regrets.

306: The first of many such lines to Shinji by the far more masculine females in the show.

312: This is the tidbit of information that bowls Asuka over in episode 09. Interesting that it occurs the moment Shinji first steps into the eva, and not later during combat.

348: A classic case of Buyer's remourse.

Well, just a few random thoughts.

P.S.
The commentary rocks! It's a really great idea that works amazingly well. It's like DVD commentary, only without people shouting at one another and with more depth. Make for a great read as well.

Originally posted on: 02-Apr-2005, 02:05 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:27 pm

Thanks for the stuff, OMF. You going to look over the other stuff we've covered so far, as well?

I always get the question, "Is it okay for me to comment...?" and stuff like this. The answers are all in the introductory page. Image

Previously covered segments, however, are always open for new additions and changes.

Just so you know, this project is open to everybody, not a set group, so please don't think you need to ask my permission first or anything.

I guess I should make an "FAQ" section, even if there are only two FAQs... Image

I have some comments/questions on your submissions, but they'll have to wait for now...

I'll be revisiting episode #01 at some point to upgrade all of the screenshots to Renewal quality, incorporate the storyboards for unused scenes (including the extended car drive sequence), and add the 'latest' comments.

Originally posted on: 02-Apr-2005, 04:15 GMT

OMF [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Actually just a tad extra to add.

136: The first mention of Shinji's mysterious "sensei". We never get much information about this person. We never see them. We don't know age or gender. We can surmise that they were Shinji's guardian, but beyond that we know almost nothing. You think such a person would have been discussed a little more. Perhaps Shinji wasn't very fond of him/her.

217: The conversation between Ritsuko and Misato here is an interesting one. In a lesser show, it would be Gendou and Shinji having this conversation, with Gendou explaining that even though the situation may seem hopeless, Shinji has to give it a shot, and with Shinji reluctantly accepting his role, stocially, as saviour of the universe. However this is Neon Genesis Evangelion, and such trite performances concerning the mere background details like saving the world are best left to secondary characters. Angels, Geofronts, Evas, Giant Robot Battles, Beautiful Women, Blood, Explosions and High Tech Sci-Fi Installations. All these are simply props, pretty background details to whet our appitites between the real meats of Evangelion, amoung them the cuts that follow now.

241: Misato has already accepted Shinji's fate. In a way she represents what the Shinji character would be thinking if this was just another giant mech show. Namely "Yes, I must pilot my estranged father's creation. But not for me... for the Future!"

244: The first of Misato's many, many well meaning attempts to turn Shinji around, but no matter how hard she tries, he never really budges. We'll have to wait until 25' for the best example of this.(...just hold on until then)

Also 245, is a little more general of a comment if it's changed from
245: Misato tried, but she's really just second fiddle. Without Gendou, he not getting in there.
to
245: Misato tried, but she's really just second fiddle. Without Gendou, he not going anywhere.

345: Check out the movement of Eva's head in this shot. It's from the intertia of the launch, but it gives the impression of the Eva waking up, or standing to attendtion.

I would like to do some stuff for the other episodes if it's not too much hassle to change them.

Originally posted on: 02-Apr-2005, 12:21 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

OMF wrote:I would like to do some stuff for the other episodes if it's not too much hassle to change them.

"Hassle"? Didn't I already say that additions were welcome? Image

Originally posted on: 02-Apr-2005, 14:17 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Okey, some of the standard-issue "Editor's Comments/Questions/Concerns"...

OMF wrote:047-048: You know, the whole design of the car, and especially Misato's sunglasses, always remind me of Doc Brown in Back to the Future, away to whisk our clueless hero off on a whirlwind sci-fi adventure. "Shinji! You got to come back with me!", "Back where?!", "Back to your Father!", "... this is heavy."

Well, at least I'm not the only one whose brain makes associations where none exist. Image :wonders if Shinji wears "Calvin Klein" undies:

064: We'll see a shot very similar to this in 25'

Is it so much "very similar" as "utilizes the same giant, expensive, phallic weaponry"?

100: The start of a nice scene, which gives us our first hints at Shinji's prudish nature, and Misato's more carefree attitudes, and contrasts them quite well.
102: Note that we glance at her thighs, Shinji doesn't.
103: Misato, is a very silly person.
104: The theft of the batteries is still bothering him (probobly more so than the radiation exposure).
106: Misato quite rightly couldn't care less. She far to preoccupied with more important matters(like her car!)
107: He's not satisfied with her excuses. Shinji's rather inflexible morals will become more evident as the series progresses.
108: She's already exasperated by his mood. She makes, what is to her, a fairly innocuous comment...
109: ...and Shinji is taken aback. He's totally unused to such talk. Misato spots it right away, and pounces!
110: Shinji is highly disapproving of such behaviour. He really is an arch prude.
111: Misato is simply amused by his reaction, and she can't resist giving one last jab.
124: He reproaches her for what he sees as inappropriate behaviour.
125: And of course here we se that dispite her tendency to tease, Misato can't take her own medicine...
126: ...and is prone to rather explosive outbursts. All in all, a nice little scene

^ "Comment chains" such as this are difficult to implement as-written because they tend to get interrupted by other people's comments from cut to cut. One disadvantage to a group effort such as this, I suppose. Not much I can do aside from some 'improvised editing'...

153: Shinji's anxiety is gone at the beginning of this shot, replaced with a determined look. Why, we won't find out until episode 20. (So just be patient!)

Episode #20? You don't mean #16?

159: Does he say "My father's work" out loud, or is he just thinking it. Either way he doesn't look too thrilled to be reading it.

Oh, good catch. That line is supposed to be "(MONO)"; I'm not sure how I messed that one up. I'll fix it later.

165: It's interesting to contrast Shinji's reaction here, to his reaction in 197 when he first sees the Eva. Again, we'll find out the reason for this in episode 20.

I'm not sure what you're getting at by comparing the two cuts... They have nothing in common, IMO, aside from depicting Shinji reacting to something (and in completely different ways in both).

184: A young man, stuck in an elevator, with two grown women appraising him like a spare room they're intending to renovate. Things probobly won't get this psychologically damaging for Shinji again until 26'!

I hope you're not being serious! :P

197: Again, contrast with 165. At first he is simply surprised, and then, he look's a little worried. He suspects something.

Perhaps that he has seen this entity somewhere before? :P

218 ~ 228: Another "comment chain" I'm not sure how I'll handle...

263: This shot really shows something important. Dispite his own misery and self-pity, Shinji really does hate to see others get hurt. He really is considerate.

I'm not sure "considerate" is the right word...

286: Very revealing. Shinji cares a great deal about others. He actually runs over to aid someone in distress.

If Rei weren't a "hot chick", would Shinji have even bothered? :P

288: Ominous shot here. He doesn't know why she's injured, but he glances back at the eva anyway. It's likely that even at this early stage, Shinji suspects much more than he lets on, even to himself.

I always thought of the glance more as Shinji considering his options, or... dammit, I can't find the proper words, but Shinji considering the Eva as being responsible for Rei's wounds never came to mind... (And it would be an incorrect assessment anyway. Image )

293: Shinji's finest hour. He won't get another one like this. By the time Tokyo-3 is finished with him, it'll be all he can do choke out tears of whats left of his regrets.

I'm feeling a bit dense this afternoon... What did you mean, here?

306: The first of many such lines to Shinji by the far more masculine females in the show.

Misato is masculine? :blink:

312: This is the tidbit of information that bowls Asuka over in episode 09. Interesting that it occurs the moment Shinji first steps into the eva, and not later during combat.

During the combat, he isn't synchronized at all!

P.S.
The commentary rocks! It's a really great idea that works amazingly well. It's like DVD commentary, only without people shouting at one another and with more depth. Make for a great read as well.

Thanks! It's a lot of tough work*, but I definitely think the end result will be well worth it...

* albeit a convenient thing to distract me from the angst of my existence :P

Originally posted on: 03-Apr-2005, 18:02 GMT

OMF [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Just on the comment chains, maybe dots would help the situation. Like so.

106: ... Misato quite rightly couldn't care less. She far to preoccupied with more important matters(like her car!) ...
107: ... He's not satisfied with her excuses. Shinji's rather inflexible morals will become more evident as the series progresses. ...
108: ... She's already exasperated by his mood. She makes, what is to her, a fairly innocuous comment...
109: ...and Shinji is taken aback. He's totally unused to such talk. Misato spots it right away, and pounces! ...

Kind of representing the author rambling away to themselves, which I am. If it all goes to peices though another "track" for such things might be considered. Represented by a different color text maybe? Don't kill yourself working for my sake though.

Reichu wrote:Is it so much "very similar" as "utilizes the same giant, expensive, phallic weaponry"?

Yes. And like most phallic comments, now that you have mentioned it, all of us who were previously oblivious to such an obscure connection, will never be able to look at the shot in quite the same way ever again. Image

Reichu wrote:Episode #20? You don't mean #16?

No it's twenty where this exact cut is flash along with Shinji saying.
Shinji: Shut up! Shut up! Shut up! It's all father's fault! I was going to tell him that I hated him, then.

Reichu wrote:I'm not sure what you're getting at by comparing the two cuts... They have nothing in common, IMO, aside from depicting Shinji reacting to something (and in completely different ways in both).

It's just that he was so amazed and interested by the site of the GeoFront. He leans over to look out the window at it. Whereas when he sees the Eva, he's much more restrained, and retreats back to reading the book.

Reichu wrote:I hope you're not being serious! Image

Speaking from personal expierience, trauma like this stays with you. Image

Reichu wrote:Perhaps that he has seen this entity somewhere before? Image

Bingo.

Reichu wrote:I'm not sure "considerate" is the right word...

It's not. A better much better one is "He really is quite compassionate." Maybe empathic, but he isn't really so much in tune with people for that.

Reichu wrote:I always thought of the glance more as Shinji considering his options, or... dammit, I can't find the proper words, but Shinji considering the Eva as being responsible for Rei's wounds never came to mind...

Well, the last person he saw going in looked very like the one before him now. But I've got nothing else to back it up, so it's really just speculation. I think him considering his options is a better interpretation.

Reichu wrote: Quote: Originally Posted by OMF 293: Shinji's finest hour. He won't get another one like this. By the time Tokyo-3 is finished with him, it'll be all he can do choke out tears of whats left of his regrets.

I'm feeling a bit dense this afternoon... What did you mean, here? It's a reference to the last scene in 26'. He always sounds like he's half gagging to me. In any case I just thought it was a nice way to emphasise just how shattered he'll be once this is all over.

Reichu wrote:Misato is masculine?

In comparison to Shinji, yes. Then again, Shinji is the most feminine character in the show.

Originally posted on: 03-Apr-2005, 18:47 GMT

OMF [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Just a few more tiny additions, if I may.

063: Fuyutsuki always seems so burly in these shots. What's with that?

247: Actually, I always took Gendou's expression here to be one of regret and, dare I say it, remourse. He is after all the primary reason Shinji is such a wreak.

252: I don't think just any pressure would do though. Acknowledgement, of any kind, from his father was what he was ultimately looking for.

333: As seen here, Fuyutsuki does have his doubts from time to time. I'm always waiting for a "I find your lack of faith disturbing" from Gendou!

Apologies for the DP!

Originally posted on: 09-Apr-2005, 02:16 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

OMF wrote:063: Fuyutsuki always seems so burly in these shots. What's with that?

063? I don't see no Fuyutsuki here!

333: As seen here, Fuyutsuki does have his doubts from time to time. I'm always waiting for a "I find your lack of faith disturbing" from Gendou!

I suppose this means an obligatory link to that doctored "Jedi Gendo" pic. (But not before I correct that wince-inducing "you're".)

Apologies for the DP!

You'll never be forgiven. EVER.

Originally posted on: 09-Apr-2005, 03:00 GMT

OMF [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Whoops! I meant 068! Fuyutsuki does look a bit different from the frailer individual we'll see later on.

Originally posted on: 09-Apr-2005, 13:03 GMT

Sharp-kun [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Sharp-kun [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:28 pm

Discussion of his thread will be continuing on the dedicated NGE Commentary Project forums, as soon as they open.

Originally posted on: 08-Jul-2005, 04:45 GMT

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”