Commentary: Series OP

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

PronsAmuro [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby PronsAmuro [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:50 am

Reichu wrote:Um... why?

Because you're getting in a deep conversation about an intro. It's just an intro video.

Originally posted on: 09-Apr-2005, 03:30 GMT

MagicianCamille [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby MagicianCamille [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:50 am

Bingo. Image (Though I understand now, you're doing the commentary on the entire series..it makes sense..)

Originally posted on: 09-Apr-2005, 03:31 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:51 am

PronsAmuro wrote:Because you're getting in a deep conversation about an intro. It's just an intro video.

Yeah? And your point is?

Originally posted on: 09-Apr-2005, 03:35 GMT

Soluzar [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Soluzar [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:51 am

PronsAmuro wrote:Because you're getting in a deep conversation about an intro. It's just an intro video.

Good. Then we won't force you to join in. Image

Seriously, you go discuss what you want to, we'll discuss what we want to, and if you can't say anything nice... Image

Originally posted on: 09-Apr-2005, 03:47 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:51 am

I do wonder if any of my various self-motivated revisions are appreciated by anyone... I provide most of the feedback (for submitted comments), but I get almost none for my own, especially those added after the other commentators have moved on.

Le Sigh.

Originally posted on: 09-Apr-2005, 06:51 GMT

Magami No ER [ANF]
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Magami No ER [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:51 am

^Yours seem very factual, I wouldn't know what to say. Except that I appreciate them. Image

Originally posted on: 09-Apr-2005, 17:19 GMT

OMF [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby OMF [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:00 pm

Well, it clears up the whole "Barons of Hell" malarky at least. Where do people come up with this stuff? I've been educated by a christian system, and not once, ever, have I heard half of the stuff brough up by people talking about Evangelion. I take this as evidence that the Gainix staff probobly didn't either. If you looked at Eva long enough you'd probobly find links to the Kennedy assasination.(Hyuga represents the grassy knoll!) Maybe there should be a section in the appendices that talks about the various crackpottery that has come up in evangelion discussion threads?

Actually a character/Eva/Setting design section in the appendices wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Originally posted on: 09-Apr-2005, 17:49 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:00 pm

OMF wrote:Maybe there should be a section in the appendices that talks about the various crackpottery that has come up in evangelion discussion threads?

In time, in time.

Actually a character/Eva/Setting design section in the appendices wouldn't be a bad idea either.

What do you have in mind?

Originally posted on: 09-Apr-2005, 18:32 GMT

OMF [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby OMF [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:00 pm

Reichu wrote:In time, in time.
What do you have in mind?

I'm not sure. Kind of like a section of production drawings you get with some DVDs? Maybe showing initial designs for characters, buildings etc. I've no idea where to get this kind of stuff though.

Originally posted on: 09-Apr-2005, 19:11 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

They've been published in various places. :eyes shelf full of NGE books: This is a commentary on the show, though, not an image gallery. The images are supplemental to the discussion, not there for their own sake. I basically dig them out and include them 'as needed'. A listing of supplemental images will be in the TOC soon enough, so that one doesn't have to scourge the commentaries to find them.

Originally posted on: 09-Apr-2005, 19:53 GMT

Dr. Nick [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:00 pm

Sorry I'm still bugging you with this, Reichu, but can you remove those camouflage-comments in 053 and put them on hold? I originally wrote the initial comment so we'd have some filling for that big, empty, commentless space there (hey, is "commentless" a word?), but now that I think of it, that's not a professional way of doing things. We don't want to create text just for text's sake.

There are better places for a comment like that; maybe some scene from episode 11 or 12 where we see all three main Evas slaughtering angels together.

Aaand I do have a totally new comment too, for cut 004b:

Incidentally, Sepirothic System has made brief "cameo appearances" in two newer anime shows, Macross Zero and R.O.D the TV. In both cases the possibility of a homage isn't really far-fetched: After all, the original Super Dimension Fortress Macross from the year 1979, with its ideas about mysterious alien force as the progenitor of humanity, has definately influenced Anno and other loonies of Gainax, so it's quite safe to assume the makers of Zero now in turn put in an Eva-reference. R.O.D on the other hand plays with thematic elements like "becoming a god" and "recreating the world", and the very final line of the show can also be considered as a clever Evangelion-homage.

---

There's more to it, but I don't want to make the comment too bloated. If you've seen Otaku no Video and Daicon IV -animation, you know how much SDF Macross has indeed influenced the geeks of Gainax. And there are some definate visual Macross in-jokes in NGE too, for which I shall create a specific thread later on.

Here's info about the final line of R.O.D the TV (SPOILER WARNING!), in case someone's interested . And you damn well should be, because the show rocks. I mean, intellectual shonen trash - isn't that an impossible genre?

I've been brooding on this idea if we could incorporate a Sightings-appendix into the commentary, where we could collect these Evangelion homages, bizarre references and other such findings which we've encountered in different anime shows and elsewhere. As far as I know, a website like that has yet to be created. An appendix about works that influenced NGE and stuff that it makes homages to would also be nice, but naturally much harder to create because we'd be talking about old stuff not that many people have seen (hell, I still haven't seen the original MSG Gundam myself!). And of course, there's the risk that it, even if perfectly neutrally written, might be used by those annoying flamers in their never-ending "who ripped off who" debate...

Reichu wrote::eyes shelf full of NGE books:

You wouldn't happen to own something called "Iron Maiden Story Book" (by Gainax / SimpleText), would you? It supposedly contains some (probably insignificant) bits and pieces of info that aren't available elsewhere (like that stuff how N^2 bombs were originally called "P-bombs").

Originally posted on: 12-Apr-2005, 13:45 GMT

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:00 pm

Michelle Khan - Michelle Cheung
Maggie Cheung - Maggie Mui
Anita Mui - Anita King

As a fan of both The Heroic Trio and R.O.D TV, I can't tell you how dopey I felt when I first had that pointed out to me Image
BTW, you're right, R.O.D TV rocks; one of the coolest anime series ever Image

Originally posted on: 12-Apr-2005, 14:11 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Dr. Nick wrote:Sorry I'm still bugging you with this, Reichu, but can you remove those camouflage-comments in 053 and put them on hold? I originally wrote the initial comment so we'd have some filling for that big, empty, commentless space there (hey, is "commentless" a word?), but now that I think of it, that's not a professional way of doing things. We don't want to create text just for text's sake.

There are better places for a comment like that; maybe some scene from episode 11 or 12 where we see all three main Evas slaughtering angels together.

Sure thing... I think I have a place to stick "belated comments" SOMEwhere...

Blah, speaking of all these anime that Eva references -- and those that reference Eva in turn -- sure, some appendix features would be nice. Having not seen a terribly large number of anime myself, I would leave it mostly to other folks... It would probably be to my benefit to finally watch some Macross, old-skool Gundam, Nadia, Otaku no Video (only seen bits and pieces), etc., but my brain goes into "sensory overload" quite fast. There are already a number of items in the commentary that could go into these, and I'm sure you and the other anime junkies here could come up with plenty more...

BTW, Niko, there are some comments about references in episode #01's Jikai Yokoku (Re: Abenobashi and Mahoromatic). I'm still not entirely sure about them, so if you or anyone else could check them, that would be g-reat.

<< And of course, there's the risk that it, even if perfectly neutrally written, might be used by those annoying flamers in their never-ending "who ripped off who" debate...>>

Well, that sort of problem would be balanced out by the "who ripped off Eva" appendix. Image

You wouldn't happen to own something called "Iron Maiden Story Book" (by Gainax / SimpleText), would you? It supposedly contains some (probably insignificant) bits and pieces of info that aren't available elsewhere (like that stuff how N^2 bombs were originally called "P-bombs").

Unfortunately not... I totally blew the earnings from my last summer job on NGE books and Platinum discs, so I don't have any cash to burn at the moment. This summer, though, I'll hopefully get more funding for Project C and pick up a few additional books. Including that one, even though I think Mana is an evil tramp.

Originally posted on: 12-Apr-2005, 15:30 GMT

Soluzar [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Soluzar [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:00 pm

Reichu wrote:Blah, speaking of all these anime that Eva references -- and those that reference Eva in turn -- sure, some appendix features would be nice. Having not seen a terribly large number of anime myself, I would leave it mostly to other folks... It would probably be to my benefit to finally watch some Macross, old-skool Gundam, Nadia, Otaku no Video (only seen bits and pieces), etc., but my brain goes into "sensory overload" quite fast. There are already a number of items in the commentary that could go into these, and I'm sure you and the other anime junkies here could come up with plenty more...

If you want to have an article or a page about NGE's references to other mecha animes, then I'd probably guess that there are enough forum regulars who know enough about the mecha genre that you don't need to force yourself to watch any. Camille and Sharp are the first two names that spring to mind, and Levon might be interested in commenting on that specific topic, even if he's not interested in the commentary in general. Mecha anime is fairly popular, there shouldn't be any shortage of interested parties for that particular topic.

Originally posted on: 12-Apr-2005, 16:21 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

NGE's references are hardly restricted to mecha anime... Anno borrowed from EVERYwhere.

Of course, anyone who would be in a position to comment on this particular topic is welcome to step forward at any time. The more well-watched nerds around here have tended to be quiet, overall, with the exception of a few tidbits.

Originally posted on: 12-Apr-2005, 21:09 GMT

Soluzar [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Soluzar [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:01 pm

Reichu wrote:NGE's references are hardly restricted to mecha anime... Anno borrowed from EVERYwhere.

Yes, I was just commenting because you seemed to feel that mecha anime was one area you especially don't know much about, that there are plenty of others who can help you.

Of course, anyone who would be in a position to comment on this particular topic is welcome to step forward at any time. The more well-watched nerds around here have tended to be quiet, overall, with the exception of a few tidbits.

I think that may be because the discussion hasn't been officially opened, and there may be some doubt in the minds of those with the info as to whether it's needed at this point. Opening a thread for the purpose of "Commentary: Reference to other anime." would probably encourage people to comment. You'd get some stupid comments, like "Eva ripped off <insert>!" but you and the Doctor get to decide what goes in, I guess.

Originally posted on: 12-Apr-2005, 22:46 GMT

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”