Commentary: Fly Me To The Moon

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

HeWhoPostsStuff [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby HeWhoPostsStuff [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:35 am

Heh, I know, I wasn't trying to discredit your post or anything like that, sorry if it sounded like I was.

Careful though...as Reichu can attest, once my ideas start making sense, it'd be a wise course of action to head for the hills.

Originally posted on: 23-Aug-2004, 21:51 GMT

evolve [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby evolve [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:35 am

HeWhoPostsStuff wrote:Heh, I know, I wasn't trying to discredit your post or anything like that, sorry if it sounded like I was.

Careful though...as Reichu can attest, once my ideas start making sense, it'd be a wise course of action to head for the hills.

I may be nitpicking here, but there was a vague reference made to the possibility that the moon in FMTTM could be the Black moon:

thewayneiac wrote:...the choice of this song indicates that they already knew what all those little red dots would be doing during 3I.

but EoE wasn't planned as the original "ending" to the series, was it? so the "little red dots" incident probably wasn't even planned when FMTTM was picked as the ending theme.

Originally posted on: 24-Aug-2004, 05:21 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:35 am

evolve wrote:but EoE wasn't planned as the original "ending" to the series, was it? so the "little red dots" incident probably wasn't even planned when FMTTM was picked as the ending theme.

*Some* connection between Rei and the moon is implied from the very beginning. And, of course, we have the Geofront inside a giant underground spherical cavity. I think it is altogether possible that they had planned so far ahead as to the significance of the Black Moon.

Originally posted on: 24-Aug-2004, 06:55 GMT

HeWhoPostsStuff [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby HeWhoPostsStuff [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:35 am

evolve wrote:I may be nitpicking here, but there was a vague reference made to the possibility that the moon in FMTTM could be the Black moon...

Hm, I must've missed wayneiacs quote there, guess I've been beaten to this particular crackpot theory, heh. Doesn't mean I can't jump on the bandwagon though. Image

but EoE wasn't planned as the original "ending" to the series, was it? so the "little red dots" incident probably wasn't even planned when FMTTM was picked as the ending theme.

Actually, isn't the prevailing story that EoE WAS the original concoction for the series' ending, but because Gainax ran out of time and money towards the end, they were forced to toss together the "TV ending" instead? And that after Eva caught on and money started flowing in, they went back and released EoE to end the series as they'd originally intended to? And on top of that, aren't the endings for the TV series and EoE supposed to be the same thing depicted two different ways? Or am I getting stuff mixed up here?

Originally posted on: 24-Aug-2004, 15:18 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

HeWhoPostsStuff wrote:Actually, isn't the prevailing story that EoE WAS the original concoction for the series' ending, but because Gainax ran out of time and money towards the end, they were forced to toss together the "TV ending" instead? And that after Eva caught on and money started flowing in, they went back and released EoE to end the series as they'd originally intended to?

It goes kind of like that. There's more discussion on this issue here.

And on top of that, aren't the endings for the TV series and EoE supposed to be the same thing depicted two different ways? Or am I getting stuff mixed up here?

Well, that idea isn't universally accepted... EvaOtaku and EvaMonkey are opponents to it. But, personally, I think it's a lot more fun to figure out how the two endings are the same than how they are different.

Originally posted on: 24-Aug-2004, 17:19 GMT

thewayneiac [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:35 am

evolve wrote:but EoE wasn't planned as the original "ending" to the series, was it? so the "little red dots" incident probably wasn't even planned when FMTTM was picked as the ending theme.

On the other hand, in ep. 16 they show Shinji holding up something that looks very much like a red soul dot, while Yui's voice asks, "Is that enough?".
As Shinji's life support has reached it's end at this point, I have always felt that this represents Yui giving Shinji enough of her soul energy to keep him alive long enough to escape. This indicates that they were already aware that souls would be portrayed by red dots.

Originally posted on: 24-Aug-2004, 19:06 GMT

evolve [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby evolve [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:35 am

thewayneiac wrote:On the other hand, in ep. 16 they show Shinji holding up something that looks very much like a red soul dot, while Yui's voice asks, "Is that enough?".
As Shinji's life support has reached it's end at this point, I have always felt that this represents Yui giving Shinji enough of her soul energy to keep him alive long enough to escape. This indicates that they were already aware that souls would be portrayed by red dots.

yeah, but I think episode 16 is kind of the turning point of Evangelion. from then on the series became a lot darker and more psychological. but nonetheless, there are people here who have done waaaay more research and speculation and such than I have.

Originally posted on: 26-Aug-2004, 05:59 GMT

MDWigs [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby MDWigs [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:35 am

Revivied because, well I have things to add! Image

I remember reading *somewhere* that Anno asked Megumi Hayashibara to sing the <Rei> rendition "like
the previous one, but imagine yourself strangling a little cat with a big smile on your face" Yes... Anno is weird. Also the difference between Fly Me to the Moon (Rei(#5)TV. Size Remix Version) and Fly Me to the Moon (Rei(#6)TV. Size Remix Version) is that Anno Hideaki directed Megumi Hayashibara to sing as Rei Ayanami for #5 and as a "unified person of Rei and Megumi Hayashibara" for #6.

Also on the Moon thing. In the original scenarios for the episodes (which I've posted around the place before) episode 24 is supposed to feature the most powerful twelve angels descending from the moon and destroying America.

More Rei/Moon connections (though this is slightly obtuse): According to Anno (off his official website, before he took it down) "Ayanami is named after a ship of the former Japan navy. Rei is just a pun of 'Rei' [zero], but actually named after Hino Rei of Sailor Moon. It was a beit to invite Iku-chan (Ikuhara Kunihiko) as a staff, but he ran away. Too bad." So Anno named Rei off a character from Sailor Moon (

Originally posted on: 14-Nov-2004, 01:49 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Destroying America? At least in the final version, they go from destroying us to simply showing how incompetent/paranoid we are. I think if NGE were made around now, Anno definitely would have destroyed us. Image

You posted all of the name origin stuff a while back, and I actually made an entire appendix-page out of it. You didn't notice? Image Image

Just kidding. I know you're busy.

Originally posted on: 14-Nov-2004, 02:07 GMT

MDWigs [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby MDWigs [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:35 am

Destroying America?

Yep Image

Here are two different descriptions:

The Americas continent was evaporated.

The Americas, along with the Eva unit-06 is erased from the surface of the Earth.

Found the Animeboards thread where I posted the original scenarios; http://www.animeboards.com/showthrea...igina l+plots

Also found this in a random text file in my Eva directory, no idea where I got it from original, the Eva ML perhaps:

[quote]The fourth strike of PY@TOKYO !!

At this weekend, I started to read some of the EVA books I bought
which discussed the movie (as well as the TV). From the book
published by the "Evangelical Society of Neon Genesis" (Shinseiki
Fukuin Kyoukai), the original episode plan of Evangelion was
revealed, and it contained some interesting discoveries!

Basically the discussion started from the questions why Rei seems to
have so many implied links with the Moon. She was shown standing
with the Moon behind in the Opening (and some posters), ans shown
swimming under the moon (with the song "Fly me to the moon" at the
background) in the Ending. Episode 6 also showed a big full moon
beside Rei.

It turned out that the Moon was originally supposed to play an even
more important role and have even more intricate link with Rei.
A plan was shown to elaborate this:

Ep
1. "Person who comes to meet again"
same as EP.1 except with the change of title name (to "Shito
attacked")
2. same as EP.2
3. "First TEL"
title changed to "Does not ring, the phone"
4. "Age 14, the starting day"
title changed to "Rain, after escape"
5. "Rei, the other side of heart" same as EP.5
6. "Battle, Neo-Tokyo 3" same as EP.6
7. "Artifical product" same as EP.7
8. "Asuka, the coming morning" changed to "Asuka, the coming day"
9. "Momentously, overlapping of hearts" same as EP.9
10. "Became silent, inside Darkness" same as EP.11
You posted all of the name origin stuff a while back, and I actually made an entire appendix-page out of it.

Heh the funny thing is, I hadn't seen it when I wrote that, but just in the last 10 mins I've been looking over the additions you've made and strumbled upon it ^^

Originally posted on: 14-Nov-2004, 02:28 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:36 am

The plot summaries are all included in Newtype 100%, I believe. I'll probably try and see what kind of translation I can muster from them, eventually.

That Aruka stuff is interesting. I remember trying to translate the music menu from S^2 Works and wondering "WTF is 'Aruka'?". BGMs A-10 through A-13 were originally intended to be "Theme of Aruka A~D", but we now know them as, respectively, MOTHER IS THE FIRST OTHER, DEPRESSION, INTROJECTION, and SEPARATION ANXIETY. I'm guessing that it sort of evolved into the 'First Ancestor Civilization', with the two Geofronts, Adam, and Lilith being the products of an ancient civilization from another world... leaving us with the nice plot hole of who made the Secret Dead Sea Scrolls. Image

The old scenario does seem to support the notion that Lilith was a late arrival to the mythos... I wonder what Rei's "secret" was originally supposed to be?

It turned out that the Moon was originally supposed to play an even
more important role and have even more intricate link with Rei.

This was posted before EoE became available, I take it?

Originally posted on: 14-Nov-2004, 04:56 GMT

Gaizokubanou [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Gaizokubanou [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:36 am

26. "Just a clean way (of doing this)"
**** Stage set at the destroyed Geo-Front. All the mysteries are
**** answered and resolved. The happy ending.

Imagine what this board would look like if the final episode was like this Image

Originally posted on: 14-Nov-2004, 09:18 GMT

Quiddity [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Quiddity [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:36 am

Just to clarify on something said by Reichu in the commentary, yes indeed Space Runaway Ideon, like Evangelion featured a large number of remixes of the ending theme, particularly in the movie version. The big difference being that in Evangelion, the vast majority of those remixes included singing, with only a few being instrumentals. In Ideon all the remixes were instrumentals only, the only track with sining in it was the actual ending theme itself.

Originally posted on: 23-Mar-2005, 12:44 GMT

Otaprince [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Otaprince [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:36 am

One interesting thing to note is that the ED is animated by the longtime Gainax guy, Masayuki, who is especially interested in animating the movement of water. From the Red Cross Book:

"Masayuki, who served as deputy director of the TV series and director of the movie "DEATH", participated in a number of capacities on this movie including story boards, original pictures and as visual water artist.* The depiction of water is considered the most difficult of all animation work, and Masayuki served as art director of all natural depiction of water and waves.* For this reason, he was given the title of "visual water artist".* He also drew the original pictures for the promotional posters of this movie."

With this in mind, you notice the many dramatic uses of water in End of Evangelion. Depictions of water are also present in Masayuki's work since, especially episode 3 of Re: Cutie Honey, which he episode directed. You can often find little bits of water popping up in his illustrations:

http://www.gainax.co.jp/special/even...omimg/tel2.gif
http://www.gainax.co.jp/special/even...omimg/tel1.gif

The Renewal "Test Type" DVD, a preview disc, included an 4 and a half minute extended, creditless new version of Eva's end sequence (it also featured an extended OP). It features live action video shot underwater in imitation of Eva's animated OP, with some amazing shots of sunlight streaming down through a coral reef. I'm 90% sure this was also directed, shot, or supervised by Masayuki. There's an interview with him on the subject (in Japanese) here:

http://www.gainax.co.jp/anime/eva/kingtaidan4.html

Some may think this is a minor detail, but I've always liked the idea that one of Gainax's original Eva creators spends a lot of time thinking about something as everyday, but complex, as water.

Originally posted on: 27-Apr-2005, 18:42 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Credits for the Full ED from the Test Type DVD (probably not 100% accurate, but I try):

Director, Layout, Editing, Stock Photography, Key Frame Animation: Masayuki
Animation Check: Yasuhiro Murata
Animation: Yasuhiro Murata, Hiroyuki Tomida, Yukihiro Kobayashi, Kunihiro Nagabe, Ayumi Shiraishi
Color Design: Harumi Takahoshi
Photography: Ken Ando
Editing Assistant: Hiroaki Morishita
Sound Assistant: Kazunori Shimizu
Production Advancement: Daisuke Hirose
Post Production: Cinebazaar

Guess I'll have to get around to adding the FULL ED info sometime.

Originally posted on: 27-Apr-2005, 19:58 GMT

ShyanHaiJin [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby ShyanHaiJin [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:36 am

Image! Wow, she doesn't have it! That's why Evangelion is so great, you learn something new every day. I guess she didn't need to think about procreation with all those clones around. But then what about the breasts, why did Gendou put them there and make them so big? Is it just for aethetic reasons? What a perverted old man!

Originally posted on: 21-Jun-2005, 00:40 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

You ARE familiar with the concept of censorship, yes? Image

Originally posted on: 21-Jun-2005, 09:53 GMT

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”