The Naming Thread (hijacked)

For discussion of and submissions for the EvaGeeks Wiki and Commentary. Open to all posters.

Moderators: UrsusArctos, Board Staff

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:57 am

ObsessiveMathsFreak wrote:The first option is to "transfer the registrar" to 1and1. This presumably means that 1and1 are responsible of handling our DNS request(renewal?). They seem charge ~$6 per domain name per year, but nothing is mentioned about the initial cost of purchasing the domain? Is this cost usually included in the yearly rate Ornette?

Not that I know of. I pay a fixed rate everytime a domain is up for renewal.

Mercifully, they also have a second option to point the DNS to the 1and1 nameservers and keep the current registrar. Presumably this means we can use Ornette's servers (are you a registrar?) to point to 1and1, who will then point to the hosted site. 1and1 don't seem to be charging for this service. Is this standard practice, or can we expect to pay for this in some way?

I am not a registrar. Godaddy, Network Solutions, are registrars. You go to them to buy a domain and in the process, you list at least 2 DNS servers that will be hosting DNS for that domain. You can use my DNS servers, but it looks like it'll be easier to just use 1and1. You can always change DNS servers at the registrar. Godaddy is easy to use, Network Solutions is a pain in the ass.

I have absolutely no problem buying the domains and keeping them under my company's Godaddy account, I can list whoever (Reichu) as the administrative or technical contact, the former will be contacted for adminstrative reasons (hi, will you sell me your domain?) and the latter for technical reasons (hi, I got spam from your domain). The only drawback to this concerning the FGP collective is that technically Comet Way (my company) would own the domain, but I have no qualms about transfering ownership to someone else or a collective FGP godaddy account or an account at some other registrar.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:26 pm

'Rachel K. Clark's Fantastic Adventures through Evaland (now with minions)' ... Image

WIN. Hell, anything that references SFAiBL is win in my book. :D Er...wait, that came out wrong...

My actual views in the other thread (voting one) except for this:

(1) The name of the actual site. (Not any particular section. The whole. Damned. Thing.)
(2) The name of the new domain.

1) The Fan-Geeks (Commentary) Project
2) ...Why's a new domain needed? I think I missed the memo with that. But if that's the case, then: evageeks dot which ever ending is avaialbe, though dot com for the win!
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:08 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:2) ...Why's a new domain needed?

www.evacommentary.org doesn't really represent the site anymore.

evageeks dot which ever ending is avaialbe, though dot com for the win!

I oppose .com as the default on a matter of principle, since a commercial site is everything we are not.

I can't think about registering and such at this very moment, but, in terms of $$$, I am rather poor and not accumulating any "burnable cash" at the moment. Dr. Nick has been chipping in with "monies" from his summer job, and Mr. Tines made some deposits in the past, but otherwise I've been on my own. Monkey suggested forming some kind of account that everyone (including random benefactors, I would assume) could make deposits into via PayPal, and from which the host company would automatically withdraw on the due dates.

I wouldn't mind getting compensated for my various "losses" over the years, either, but I suppose that's of lesser concern.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

V
Banned

Postby V » Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:16 pm

How much money would it cost? Just ask *us* here on the project.
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
You say you say you want a REvolution?...
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:41 pm

"Compensation"? Well, I'm not sure... I'd have to do a bit of digging for that one. And would it include the grotesque amounts of money spent on Eva resources or not? -o-;
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:54 pm

I've never been employed and am a full-time college student, but I should be able to save some money aside for this.

Would it be every little bit helps (e.g: $20 at the most is probably all I could give. :()?
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:06 pm

Even $20 works. You'd need a PayPal account, though.

I should get that Excel spreadsheet started up at some point...
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

V
Banned

Postby V » Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:45 pm

I do not have a paypal account, but am willing to spend in the hundreds of dollars on this project (...I'm a man of wealth, and taste...)
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
You say you say you want a REvolution?...
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

Return to “Wiki Editing and Discussion”