The "MediaWiki Techie Summon" Page

For discussion of and submissions for the EvaGeeks Wiki and Commentary. Open to all posters.

Moderators: UrsusArctos, Board Staff

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:49 pm

Reichu wrote:I take it my vestigial "EoE Lulz" page hath vanished off the face of the Wiki?

NOOO! I added some notes to that so I could remember what else to write when working on 26'! I didn't get a chance to save it as a txt/doc file (lesson learned >_<)!! Goddamnit! *bangs head against wall*

*ahem*
...Is there any way to retrieve that information at least? :asuka_sad:
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:38 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:*ahem*
...Is there any way to retrieve that information at least? :asuka_sad:

It's done, but your edit doesn't seem to be there. There may be something awry with the database and I'm not sure I want to go about finding out what. We may be on a wing and a prayer here.
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:54 pm

Whoops. I meant on the Episode 26' page (which is still there afterall thank god). -o-; Yeah. ...Don't mind me.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:22 pm

ObsessiveMathsFreak wrote:Anything made in the FGC_Edit namespace should be invisible

That's a kinda weird namespace for dumping random scribes' resources, but who am I to complain...

to all but the fgceds user group.

I always want to read that as "fgsfds".

Does this user group include all scribes?

This doesn't seem to be possible. You'll have to reupload the image and delete the old one, though this will affect all current calls of the image on pages which use it. I don't think a way around this exists yet.

Bizarre. Having that kind of ability is so fundamental that its absence is utterly mindboggling.

As for pics: If there's enough space between individual images, there usually isn't a problem, but, naturally, things get ugly if multiple ones are in close proximity... The solutions in your sandbox still aren't the sort of thing I'd want to see on the site. A horizontal lineup beneath the text sounds like the only real solution to me.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:45 pm

A super secret namespace for the purposes of archiving forbidden knowledge or the like really isn't possible under Mediawiki, except for text articles only. Any media whatsoever, images, movies, files of any kind, are stored in the "media/image" namespace, which is accessible to everyone.

I could create another hidden namespace for such things, but any images, etc used in it would still be theoretically visible across the site.

If you really want a "Dark Archive" of some sort, Mediawiki is likely not going to like what you have planned. A second Mediawiki installation might be what you're looking for, perhaps with some interwiki linking. Apparently this is possible, though I am highly dubious of the whole affair.

What exactly do you require? If it's just a scratchpad of some sort, I think another closed off namespace like FGC_Edit should do fine, apart from the images lurking about in public.

P.S.
'fgceds currently include only myself and Reichu, although the FGC pages are visible to everyone, but not the FGC_Edit pages. Thus, only myself and Reichu should currently be able to view pages in the FGC_Edit namespace. Could someone check this. Additional FGC editors have not yet been assigned.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:06 pm

ObsessiveMathsFreak wrote:'fgceds currently include only myself and Reichu, although the FGC pages are visible to everyone, but not the FGC_Edit pages. Thus, only myself and Reichu should currently be able to view pages in the FGC_Edit namespace. Could someone check this. Additional FGC editors have not yet been assigned.

http://www.tesuji.org/images/fgc_edit_error.png

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:56 pm

ObsessiveMathsFreak wrote:I could create another hidden namespace for such things, but any images, etc used in it would still be theoretically visible across the site.

If you really want a "Dark Archive" of some sort, Mediawiki is likely not going to like what you have planned.

"Dark Archive"... I like that. :tongue:

I was planning on loading the "archive files" (RARs and the like) into some odd directory on the server (NOT onto the actual Wiki), and the "for editors' eyes only" page would provide linkies to all of them. That would work, yes?

And there are those script pages as well, which need to be hidden ... just because.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Szmitten
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Szmitten » Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:18 am

Episode 1 Supplemental, everything's in a thin column on the left. The rest seem okay, but they don't have those Notes box templates.

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Sun Sep 02, 2007 5:53 pm

How does it look now?

Szmitten
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Szmitten » Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:00 pm

ObsessiveMathsFreak wrote:How does it look now?

No change.

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:33 pm

How about now? I've fixed what I think may have been the issue, namely an errant piece of wiki syntax in the Notebox page.

Szmitten
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Szmitten » Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:14 am

Perfeck.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:18 pm

Reichu wrote:Dark Archive ... script pages ... hidden namespace for editor crap

Any word on this, OMF?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:21 pm

Reichu wrote:Any word on this, OMF?

It depends on what you're looking for. A hidden namespace is easily created, but Mediawiki will not support hiding images or other filetypes from the general user. A dark archive set up using namespaces would be a dark archive for textual resources only, whos other material could theoretically be viewable my everyone(if they stumbled across/went looking for it)

Another option is an entirely separate Mediawiki installation wherein whatever you desire may be placed far from prying eyes. Though it seems like overkill, it is the only real way to create such a resource using Mediawiki. This is fairly doable, but potentially expensive in terms of database access and web space. Interwiki linking could make this archive somewhat connected with the main wiki.

Yet another option is to simply have a regular "hidden" section of the site, requiring a login or some other such measures, with content created simply with plain old HTML. Very 1995, but workable to a degree. As you mention, the hidden namespace in the wiki could then link to any files or pages here. This seems the simplest option.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:38 pm

As before,

me wrote:I was planning on loading the "archive files" (RARs and the like) into some odd directory on the server (NOT onto the actual Wiki), and the "for editors' eyes only" page would provide linkies to all of them. That would work, yes?

That make sense?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:04 pm

Option 3 then. That's doable, but something best left aside until after our inevitable host change. It's a simple matter of a hidden namespace linking to password protected files somewhere else on the site as you say.

Return to “Wiki Editing and Discussion”