English dub material and voice actors

For discussion of and submissions for the EvaGeeks Wiki and Commentary. Open to all posters.

Moderators: UrsusArctos, Board Staff

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:36 pm

V wrote:due what TheOneRing.net did; befriend those involved in the production, that way they consider your site a promotional tool and don't bother shutting you down

We could try, but like the family mad uncle, there's only so familiar we can become before they find out about Reichu and Dr. Nick.
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:32 pm

what about Reichu and Dr. Nick?
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
You say you say you want a REvolution?...
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:27 pm

V wrote:what about Reichu and Dr. Nick?

...Well, they're quite mad you see (aren't we all). Seriously, they are more than vocal in their criticism of ADV and everyone involved with the dud. I can't imagine any ADV or Manga representative would last more than an hour here without facing a rather prosaic tirade, which would only lead to hostilities in the long run.

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:39 pm

I'm really trying to steer away from open vitriolic hostility against ADV films. I mean I want to eventually invite these people to check out stuff here (it'll educate 'em)
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:38 am

@OMF: How much I care depends on my mood. Sometimes I'm capable of "smiling and nodding politely".
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick » Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:31 am

ObsessiveMathsFreak wrote:...Well, they're quite mad you see (aren't we all).

Lolwut? Are you sure you aren't mistaking me for someone else? Besides that one ancient comment about how dubs in general tend to overexaggerate breathing sounds, I don't remember posting any tirades about them.

When I was a wet-behind-the-ears evafag filled with childish nerd rage I used to be rather vocal about LAEM, and I have a more recent track record of insulting the audio commentaries, Dennis Redmond, Eva-R and other bad fansites, but I wouldn't classify myself as a dub basher. Coming from a cultural background where dubbing is a practice restricted to little kids' shows only, I do consider the business model of dubbing anything foreign quite strange and redundant, but other than that I don't really have any strong feelings about it one way or the other.

Incisivis
Scribe
Scribe

•      
  •      

Postby Incisivis » Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:11 pm

V? I was introduced to NGE through the dub, and I still like watching it sometimes (but I can watch anime subtitled, and check every opinion that I have with the sub script, so no guff.), but I still don't see any reason to include it in the project.

It seems like it would make the project less "streamlined" for want of a better term, as the project should have a focus on the series itself and not get involved in any bickering about anime fandom's Eternal Debate of Doom. It goes nowhere, does nothing. That's especially true when you deal with characters who've had about three English voice actors during the series' term.

And that's not even considering the French and Spanish stuff....it's better in my mind to just say, "This is the version we're talking about, m'kay?", and maybe include some notation of errors/particularly annoying changes in the dub which are relevant to the project...but that's it.

Yeah, I do think that bashing TPTB at ADV and Manga gets tiring, but I don't really care at all. But also, part of the hostility comes not from a general artistic objection to dubbing no matter how faithful it is, but the stupid things done by the cast away from the microphone (Matt Greenfield counts because he was the first English voice for Hyuga), that serve to spread the misconceptions about Evangelion that have been around for years and should have been consigned to the dark depths of the Internets a long time ago.
"No live organism can continue to exist sanely within conditions of absolute reality; even dragonflies and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream"--Shirley Jackson
I liek Shinji
LiveJournal and Fan Fiction

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:39 pm

Slightly revised stance: If there's something about the dub, it should be one page only. Otherwise, we shouldn't bother mentioning it at all since this is about the original version of the show.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:43 pm

oh time won't be wasted bashing the dub, it's just a few points on things that got changed here or there.
Who is "Codename V"?....

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:26 pm

Dr. Nick wrote:Lolwut? Are you sure you aren't mistaking me for someone else? Besides that one ancient comment about how dubs in general tend to overexaggerate breathing sounds, I don't remember posting any tirades about them.

I was exaggerating, but wasn't the original motivation for the commentary everyone's frustration with the audio commentaries on the Renewal DVDs? Never mind. Apologies if I've misrepresented anyone.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:43 pm

Probably, but I'm too lazy to check. (Some poor bastard is gonna have to write a "project history" page on these days... I hope it isn't me.)
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Return to “Wiki Editing and Discussion”