Spell-Check & Editing Pages (PLEASE READ)!

For discussion of and submissions for the EvaGeeks Wiki and Commentary. Open to all posters.

Moderators: UrsusArctos, Board Staff

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

Spell-Check & Editing Pages (PLEASE READ)!

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:45 am

Due to lack of time online recently I've relegated myself to spell checking and doing minor edits on existing pages. This is one of those "A Stitch in Time Saves Nine" things that is just a small request that will have big benefits in the future:

WHEN EDITING A PAGE, RUN IT THROUGH SPELL-CHECK FIRST!

This is simple enough to do; copy/paste on any number of wordpad-like programs and hit "spell check". So simple, but will save a bunch of time in the future.

An even BETTER solution is to use Firefox which now has a built in spell checker. The only caution regarding it is there are some words that aren't in its dictionary (dialogue, for instance). You can add words by "right click -> Add to dictionary". It also doesn't have many "double words condensed to one" - "backstory", "plugsuit", etc. So use common sense when editing even with Firefox or Wordpad. But I now have every Eva character's name and Angel added to its dictionary which helps spot misspellings.
Last edited by Eva Yojimbo on Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:09 am

This couldn't have gone into the Editing Thread? (I prefer a less cluttered forum.)
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:27 am

Reichu wrote:This couldn't have gone into the Editing Thread? (I prefer a less cluttered forum.)
I mentioned it there, but I'm still catching mistakes. Hopefully this thread will draw enough attention where people will use this one little helpful, but very time-saving trick.
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:39 am

Eva Yojimbo wrote:I mentioned it there, but I'm still catching mistakes. Hopefully this thread will draw enough attention where people will use this one little helpful, but very time-saving trick.

You're cluttering my forum for such a reason as this? YARGH!

I haven't downloaded the latest version of Firefox yet. But I don't really need to, since I never make spelling mistakes. And if I did, you surely imagined it.

(lol "auxiliary")
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:12 am

Reichu wrote:You're cluttering my forum for such a reason as this? YARGH!
Editing/combining/deleting can be done when people wise up.

Reichu wrote:I don't really need to, since I never make spelling mistakes. And if I did, you surely imagined it.

(lol "auxiliary")
Any mistake made by you is like any made by Anno: Not a mistake, only a figment of our imagination - A challenge for someone to fanwankably fix it. We trust you more than any steenkin' spellchecker on a browser. :)

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:49 am

WHEN EDITING A PAGE, RUN IT THROUGH SPELL-CHECK FIRST!

This is simple enough to do; copy/paste on any number of wordpad-like programs and hit "spell check". So simple, but will save a bunch of time in the future.

DO THIS.

You have no idea how many people on wikipedia say "I spell checked the article by hand and fixed the grammar, so I did an equal amount of work to those people which actually wrote it".

Spell checking is appreciated but isn't "actual work", comparable to writing stuff.

So please everyone run stuff through spellcheck after you write your own stuff.
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
You say you say you want a REvolution?...
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:22 am

I actually think spell-checking is 'harder' than writing stuff because spell-checking is monotonous and boring. I'd much rather be working on articles and pages, which isn't really what I'd consider a chore or work.

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:34 pm

I think you forgot to spell check that first post. What's a "plutsuit"?
Rejoice, glory is ours. Our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers. The tapes have recorded their names.
I am all there is.
Negative! Primative! Limited! I let you live.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:53 pm

OHHHHHHH SNAP!

</spam>
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:58 pm

So is using Firefox enough, or is double-checking with Word good, too?

The only problem with Word's spell and grammar checker is that it, of course, doesn't recognize the difference between similar words and such. (there was some other problem with it, but I can't remember what that was at the moment.)

"Girl, don't forget to spellcheck
Or I'll come to your house and throw a brick through your dad's windshield...Windshield!" (Getting the reference makes you a-okay in my book! ;))
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:39 am

thewayneiac wrote:I think you forgot to spell check that first post. What's a "plutsuit"?
LMAO! Because I knew Firefox would "red underline - BEEP! Wrong!" the term "plugsuit" it did the same with "plutsuit" so I didn't pay it any mind!

Sailor Star Dust wrote:So is using Firefox enough, or is double-checking with Word good, too?

The only problem with Word's spell and grammar checker is that it, of course, doesn't recognize the difference between similar words and such. (there was some other problem with it, but I can't remember what that was at the moment.)
Firefox is enough if you pay attention. Add words like the character names and terms to its dictionary and it should make finding actual misspellings much easier. Just note when it underlines something to actually READ what it has underlined to see if it's an actual mistake or merely something not in its dictionary.

Return to “Wiki Editing and Discussion”