The Welcome Thread

For discussion of and submissions for the EvaGeeks Wiki and Commentary. Open to all posters.

Moderators: UrsusArctos, Board Staff

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:40 pm

BobBQ wrote:(Headdesk!)

RETALIATORY HEADDESK!!!

The SSDF is Japan's equivalent of the Waffen-Schutzstaffel.

Then it could be mentioned in the SSDF article or something.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:43 pm

Yes the proper course is to add what you think to the JSSDF article, though personally I don't really see the connection (but after putting it on there, you can then go through the process of arguing your point thoroughly; maybe you know stuff I don't, etc. etc.)
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
You say you say you want a REvolution?...
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:42 pm

I see some people still haven't introduced themselves...

Also, for the record, I have decided that recruits will only get special ranks once they have Proven Their Worth. (I wonder if I should demote Shin-seiki to User, while I'm at it... ;) )
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:55 am

Does this include everyone, because I'm awful at introductions.
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

Re: The Welcome Thread

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:31 am

Reichu wrote:It's, like, a welcome thread -- the forum felt naked without one. You've probably seen these before. If you're new in town, introduce yourself, even though people probably know who you are. The answers to these specific questions would be particularly "useful":

(1) What do you like about Evangelion the most? (I.e., what are your favorite aspects of the show?)
(2) The inverse.
(3) What would you consider your foci and/or "specialties"?

Bleh. I'm late.

To introduce myself- Boku wa kuma, kimi wa akuma. Don't know if that's correct, by my internet name (UrsusArctos) is actually the scientific name of the Brown Bear family (Ursus is Latin for Bear, Arctos is Greek for the same). Boku wa kuma, yes- I'm a bear.

1. What do I like about Evangelion? I understand perfectly well what Shinji and Rei are going through, and I can even empathize with Asuka as well- my past may not be anywhere near as black, but I know what it feels to live as anything but yourself. You don't need to have a horrid life like them to be the way they are. You may not even realize how much you're like them.

And the rest of the show, well, it just has that magic feel to it.

2. What do I dislike?
(a)Inconsistencies, Anno-tachi changing their minds through the course of the show. If they've been quietly changing their minds about one thing or the other, it's annoying for someone trying to put together the pieces of the big puzzle.

(b) The "It just so happens" category of events. Bardiel lurking in the very cloud formation that Eva 03 flies through is a prime example.

(c) Just how messed up the last episodes and End of Evangelion are. The huge hole in 24', the whole issue of Evas having souls, and not to mention the maddening Third Impact (God knows why Shinji should choose to return to a world without food or drinkable water). Jeez!

3. Foci? Specialities? I need to think. :um:

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:54 pm

I'm back, not that any of you would care.

I've taken a look around the wiki and started marking targets; expect some editing over the next few days.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:56 pm

BobBQ wrote:I'm back, not that any of you would care.

Oh, get over yourself, Natchan. :tongue:

I've taken a look around the wiki and started marking targets; expect some editing over the next few days.

Splendid. Keep an eye on the "Talk" pages, as well. Those things are very important.

Make a User page for yourself once you contribute, too. But, more importantly, make sure you look at this. More people need to.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

LuigiHann
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby LuigiHann » Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:38 am

Perhaps I ought to have posted here before I started posting in discussions, I dunno.

I'm LuigiHann; Reichu has offered me the title of "Art Director," presumably based on the absurd amount of time I put into making Evangelion Clue.

I'm taking some time to lurk and post a bit in this forum before I go look at the wiki-in-progress and have my head exploded.

Also, there was literally a year gap between August '06 and July '07 during which I completely left the community and basically stopped thinking about Eva... it seems I didn't miss too much, but if there were any important breakthroughs (DotS was "disproved"?) I'd like to catch up, so let me know.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:01 pm

ObsessiveMathsFreak wrote:Does this include everyone, because I'm awful at introductions.

Naw, just noobity noobs.

UrsusArctos wrote:Boku wa kuma, kimi wa akuma.

"I'm a bear, you're the Devil"?

(b) The "It just so happens" category of events. Bardiel lurking in the very cloud formation that Eva 03 flies through is a prime example.

Well... they're heading for the same place. ;)

the whole issue of Evas having souls

I always thought that was one of the coolest things about them.

God knows why Shinji should choose to return to a world without food or drinkable water

Does it indeed lack such things?

LuigiHann wrote:I'm taking some time to lurk and post a bit in this forum before I go look at the wiki-in-progress and have my head exploded.

Yeah, I know the feeling. I put off looking at it for a huge amount of time myself.

it seems I didn't miss too much, but if there were any important breakthroughs (DotS was "disproved"?) I'd like to catch up, so let me know.

Indeed, not terribly much has happened. An odd thing here or there, like a huge fanwankathon on the 24 mess, a nice discussion on 2I that largely went unnoticed, a new suggestion on What Gendo Really Said, and stuff. Most of it's over at EMF, though, which is currently down...

As for DotS: The Spear of Longinus section of the Classified Information pretty much killed that gem.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:29 pm

Reichu wrote:
UrsusArctos wrote:Boku wa kuma, kimi wa akuma.

"I'm a bear, you're the Devil"?

Barring grammatical errors, yes. I couldn't resist typing that in. ^_^

And no, the issue of Evas having souls isn't a negative the way my post sounds...it's just that the way Evas are piloted and used is open to interpretation- what would a soul (of a German-Japanese bilingual) bother about "Thinking in Japanese"?

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:32 pm

Sailor Stardust doesn't really know where to begin, but she'll start by stopping with refereeing to herself in the 3rd Person. ^^;

Hi, everybody! I'm a member of the currently down (shiku!) Eva Monkey Forums, and have been an Eva fan for....I guess about a year, or maybe even 2 years by now...Time certainly files.
I'm one of the few Girls on the Internets, 21 years old, and in my 3rd year of College, and hope I can actually contribute something to this wonderful Project/the Wiki site.

(1) What do you like about Evangelion the most? (I.e., what are your favorite aspects of the show?)

Psychological Introspection scenes/episodes, and the characters themselves.

The theme of being able to find happiness as long as you're alive also really struck a chord with me, probably because I suffer from Depression and Anxiety (though I'm apparently getting better) myself.

(2) The inverse.

Not knowing where the hell Rei aka Lilith went off to at the end of the series/film. >_<
And I know that EoE ended intentionally with the viewer's not knowing what'll happen afterwards, but the fact it ended with Shinji having gone crazy due to prolonged isolation always irked me. I really hope Rebuild will end with him actually finding some happiness since he's alive, and with Asuka at that. ^_^

(3) What would you consider your foci and/or "specialties"?

In terms of Eva?

Knowing where things more or less fit concurrency-wise with EoTV and EoE; provided you see it that way and not just their being complimentary endings. :tonguegrin:

And I'm a die hard Shinji/Asuka fan, so I have somewhat of an understanding of their relationship. Seeing as I'm more or less a real-life female Shinji (Depression & Anxiety are made of Fail! Fail, I tell you!), though when I get mad I act like Asuka. ....Okay, that was random. Moving on.

In general: Apparently, I'm good or at least average with creative writing (fanfiction) and singing. And I guess I know more Japanese than I give myself credit for, though I've only learned 2 quarter's worth (almost a year's worth) at my College.

Hope I didn't bore anybody too much with this!

Random: Oh, Bobbq is Natchan! A-ha!
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:18 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:And I'm a die hard Shinji/Asuka fan...

Speaking of which, is the entire issue of 'shipping addressed in any guidelines?
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:30 pm

ObsessiveMathsFreak wrote:
Sailor Star Dust wrote:And I'm a die hard Shinji/Asuka fan...

Speaking of which, is the entire issue of 'shipping addressed in any guidelines?

What about it?
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:32 pm

[url=http://evacommentary.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=16099#16099]ON TOPIC BITCHES ON TOPIC![/URL]
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:35 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:I'm one of the few Girls on the Internets, 21 years old, and in my 3rd year of College, and hope I can actually contribute something to this wonderful Project/the Wiki site.

Sailor Star Dust I'm promoting you to Administrator on the spot. Congratulations.
Who is "Codename V"?....

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:48 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:have been an Eva fan for....I guess about a year, or maybe even 2 years by now...Time certainly files.

Before you know it, seven bloody years will have gone by. ...SEVEN! :holds out both hands:

I hope I can actually contribute something to this wonderful Project/the Wiki site.

YOU CAN DO IT. :kawaii:

Not knowing where the hell Rei aka Lilith went off to at the end of the series/film. >_<

At least we get to see her afterwards. Adam/Kaworu just kind of... yeah.

the fact it ended with Shinji having gone crazy due to prolonged isolation always irked me.

Oh, Anno knows. Anno knows.

Random: Oh, Bobbq is Natchan! A-ha!

Yah. There was a "fun with Japanese" thread at EMF where he revealed his given (by posting the incorrect katakana form), and eventually I found out it what the official abbreviation was. It all went downhill from there.

Anyway, make yourself at home. See you in Wiki Land soon?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:00 pm

To make sure I understand the above: Saying things on the Wiki that Asuka & Shinji are interested in and have feelings for each other is okay, but stating that they're a couple (since they AREN'T, technically-speaking & dating-wise and all) is not??

So. Now that I've joined, what shall I do (help with), exactly? :unsure:

waa, I don't wanna be a N00b! :(

@ Reichu: Are there any certain forum guidelines I should be aware of?
e.g.: Do you have similar rules on here like EMF where "Image sigs, multiple-quote boxes (only quote the text you're referring to), etc aren't allowed"?

....Lord Almighty, I'm a goody-goody.

Reichu wrote:YOU CAN DO IT.

Hai, kono watashi ganbarimasu! ^__^ (oh, and I like the Little Nicky/Waterboy reference.)

"fun with Japanese" thread at EMF

D'oh! I never got around to checking that out...

Anyway, make yourself at home.

"O...ojamashimasu."

See you in Wiki Land soon?

Hopefully tomorrow if not later today.
Last edited by Sailor Star Dust on Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:05 pm

You start out at boot camp; I'm staying up all night adding in new stuff, so best to start off tomorrow afternoon.

Episode synopsis is what is needed right now.

If you're feeling utterly timid, please go through each article changing "NERV" to "Nerv" and "SEELE" to "Seele"; there was some confusion before we realized we should settle on NOT using all-caps. So some articles ended up with all-caps in them. At the least, "get a feel for things" by switching them in.
Who is "Codename V"?....

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:57 pm

V wrote:You start out at boot camp; I'm staying up all night adding in new stuff, so best to start off tomorrow afternoon.

At least I'm not the only insane person around here. :tongue: That's dedication, baby.

If you're feeling utterly timid, please go through each article changing "NERV" to "Nerv" and "SEELE" to "Seele"; there was some confusion before we realized we should settle on NOT using all-caps.

There are a number of other standards that aren't consistently implemented. (Speaking of which, I need to update that page...)

Sailor Star Dust wrote:So. Now that I've joined, what shall I do (help with), exactly? :unsure:

I'd look around, try to get a feel for how things work (or don't work, as the case may be...) and what's "going on" in the forum and on the Wiki. You're here because we need help, so don't be sheepish -- at a certain point, just dive in. (It's MediaWiki, so it's hard to screw up.) For example, picking out a skeletal encyclopedia page about something that interests you and peppering it up, or taking initiative on things that are, right now, missing altogether, but we could definitely use. There's no shortage.

And boot camp is fine too.

@ Reichu: Are there any certain forum guidelines I should be aware of? e.g.: Do you have similar rules on here like EMF where "Image sigs, multiple-quote boxes (only quote the text you're referring to), etc aren't allowed"?

Huh, need to make up a "Rules" page someday or other... But, yeah, those preferences carry over to here.

(oh, and I like the Little Nicky/Waterboy reference.)

Awesome -- I almost thought that reference was going to be in vain.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:34 pm

Is the confusion settled out on other things- templates, for instance?

Return to “Wiki Editing and Discussion”