Standardized name for "shoulder armor plate fin pylon

For discussion of and submissions for the EvaGeeks Wiki and Commentary. Open to all posters.

Moderators: UrsusArctos, Board Staff

V
Banned

Standardized name for "shoulder armor plate fin pylon

•      
  •      

Postby V » Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:24 pm

...the EvaWiki needs a standardized term for those "shoulder-armor fin" or "shoulder plate" or "armor pylon" things they have.

From reading the EvaCommenatry, it appears that even the production script does not use one definative term.

For the sake of standardization, I need everyone in the know to settle on a single standardized term for these things.

For the moment, I abstain (just goin' with the flow)
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
You say you say you want a REvolution?...
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

Katayoku no Tenshi
Ramiel
Ramiel

Re: Standardized name for "shoulder armor plate fin pyl

•      
  •      

Postby Katayoku no Tenshi » Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:51 pm

V wrote:...the EvaWiki needs a standardized term for those "shoulder-armor fin" or "shoulder plate" or "armor pylon" things they have.

From reading the EvaCommenatry, it appears that even the production script does not use one definative term.

For the sake of standardization, I need everyone in the know to settle on a single standardized term for these things.

For the moment, I abstain (just goin' with the flow)

In dialogue the word fin appears 0 time(s) the word shoulder appears 1 time(s)* and the word Pylon 0 time(s) :um:

I wonder if it's ever on a monitor.

_______
* As 'Shoulders'
+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:02 pm

There may be some Japanese in some Eva sketch, maybe in groundwork or one of the extras.

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:44 pm

Offical names were mentioned in the commentary, but script usage was not consistent. We seemed to have settled on "pylon", but I think that had more to do with the word sounding more ominous than any canonical reasoning.

The pylons/towers/plates are technically part of the Evangelions' bindings. However, I think they are only an extension of a structure that wraps around the Evas' shoulders and is possibly linked to the chest. As such, they are not in themselves the bindings, and deserve a separate name.

I don't think pylons is a terribly bad suggestion all things considered. Shoulder "PARTSU"(parts) was both terribly dull, and not very specific. Shoulder plates is not helpful, as in traditional armour, this refers to the plates used to cover over the shoulder area. Fin is reasonably accurate, but the structures are a bit rectangular for such a name. Tower is another option which fits well. Reichu may have further insight from the script.

Standing primarily against pylons is I believe a recent "Additional Pylons" meme which may have to be avoided.
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:23 pm

This should have been in the guidelines thread, methinks.

Kata no pa-tsu ("shoulder parts") is what I see outside of flaky scripts. This isn't great for English-speaking fans, since the Japanese use the word "part(s)" not-quite-the-same as us (how, I'm not ENTIREly sure). "Shoulder pylons" came from spotting the term in Yamashita's comments in Sore o nasumono -- so, if one doesn't want to use "shoulder parts", this is the next best thing to "official".

"Pylons" has my vote.

BTW...

"You must construct additional pylon!"
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:07 pm

"Pylons" has my vote.

You must construct additional pylon!

It shall be done. En Taro Reichu.

@OMF: I thought that from shots of the Eva's armor busting off, it was clear that there are no organic parts in the shoulder pylons? i.e. Eva 00 didn't even have one, and as we see in Episode 22, they can actually be removed to fit other weapons and equipment on.
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:38 pm

V wrote:I thought that from shots of the Eva's armor busting off, it was clear that there are no organic parts in the shoulder pylons?

OMF wasn't suggesting that there WERE any organic parts.

..."En Taro"?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:00 pm

Oh, wait, OMF said "bindings" I thought he said "part of the Eva BEINGS", etc. etc. I see.

"You must construct additional pylon!" you said, and that's a Protoss quote from Starcraft.

The Protoss in Starcraft say "En Taro Adun" and later "En Taro Tassadar" etc. etc. remember? :bigeyes:
Who is "Codename V"?....

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:13 pm

V wrote:"You must construct additional pylon!" you said, and that's a Protoss quote from Starcraft.

I'm uncultured and I haven't played PC games since the Dark Ages (when Duke Nukem was still an innocuous sprite), so that's about the depth of my knowledge.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:39 pm

http://www.tesuji.org/images/motivational_posters/fuck_off_aldaris.jpg

Return to “Wiki Editing and Discussion”