The Image Thread

For discussion of and submissions for the EvaGeeks Wiki and Commentary. Open to all posters.

Moderators: UrsusArctos, Board Staff

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

The Image Thread

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:26 am

Pending the creation of formalized image guidelines, people are free to upload pics for articles. Provided you actually, you know, PUT THEM into the actual articles. (Okay, I still need to do this for some of the pics I uploaded, but I can get away with these things.)

Just try to make them (A) not totally shitty, and (B) not XBOX HUEG. If they're screenshots, put "[[Category:Images (Screenshots)]]" at the end of the description, and name the files by episode. (I don't put an "e" in front of the number. But I do put an "m" in front of the movie numerals, to keep #25' screens from being bunched between the two EoTV episodes, if you follow me.)

MediaWiki doesn't seem to especially favor the old underscore-heavy naming system I used at the old site, which means you probably don't want to use it, and I might need to update to something more fancy... (AGH!!!!)

As for using images in MediaWiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Picture_tutorial
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image

That's all for now.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:57 am

Please start with episode article pics and character bio pics, we only have a few of those.

There are some legal mumbo jumbo bits involved in using images; but basically my view is "dude, we're using it under Fair Use laws"; Wikipedia.org is obsessed with removing images from episode guides as they feel they are not Fair Use.

Dude, if someone complains we takes them down, otherwise not. Basically, they have to be of a descent size (but for stuff like the EvaCommentary which has shots of EVERY scene, it's a good idea to do what you were already doing; using small low-quality pics of most shots. This falls under "Fair Use" laws and such.

I don't know how to make screencaps, so other people will have to supply these.
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
You say you say you want a REvolution?...
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:11 am

We're just some random fansite that happens to be using MediaWiki, so Wikipedia's more anal tendencies can bugger off. ::p

A template including copyright, disclaimer, and fair use bullshit (along with a link to the Eva Store telling people to give Gainax and Khara their money) will need to be compiled at some point. I'll pull whatever pics I already have in my folders when I get back on Tuesday, if other people haven't.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Katayoku no Tenshi
Ramiel
Ramiel

Size

•      
  •      

Postby Katayoku no Tenshi » Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:59 pm

Would you care to be a little more specific than XBOX HUEG?
Say something in pixels?
+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:28 pm

well for starters, no bigger than 153600 bytes

beyond 153600 bytes MediaWiki has trouble displaying the image properly. You *could* load one bigger, but it is not recommended, and I wouldn't recommend it either.
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:24 am

Something just came to my attention. The mediawiki is setup (can this be changed?) to only accept jpegs. The problem with this is we can't have animated gifs, as some of the commentary images are animated. Dunno if this is a big deal or not, but there is at least a section in the supplimentary pages that's a collection of animated gifs.

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:44 am

The setting can be changed to accept mutiple image types, gif, png, etc. I believe it's basically anything imagemagick can handle. However, it should be accepting gifs right now unless something has gone awry.
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:11 pm

Everybody: When you upload a screenshot, please add it to the category "Images (Screenshots)". Also, make the filename start with the episode number (01, 16, etc.). Use "M25" and "M26" for the movies to prevent "Air" from being mixed in with EoTV.

Also, you can request images here if you like.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:26 am

If somebody wouldn't mind, Reichu has the pic of Kaworu surrounded by the 15 Seele monuments in 24' which really needs to go on this page: HERE. Next to the first section.

For the second section, a photo of Shinji and Kaworu (the best one would likely be them laying next to each other in "bed") would be good. For the third... Perhaps the shot of Kaworu hovering in front of Lilith?
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:36 pm

All uploaded. But I don't feel like sticking them into the article right this moment. :tongue:
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:26 pm

Reichu, I noticed that there were a couple of overlapped images that we both uploaded (Shinji phone rebuild trailer being one of them). I uploaded a bunch of screenshots from the rebuild trailer to put on the Eva 0:1 page but there wasn't a subcategory (or a naming convention) for them yet. Should I just move them all over to that subcategory?

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:27 pm

I think the main reason I uploaded it again is that I anally broke down all of the trailers into cut numbers. -o-; It's... it's... just so neat. Albeit a huge waste of time.

But, sure, you can move them into the subcategory. I noticed that the Images (Screenshots) pages is starting to get really long, so subcategories are probably going to become increasingly necessary... If you feel like dumping the OP screenshots into a [[Category:Images (OP Screenshots)]] (which itself would be in [[Category:Images (Screenshots)]], that would be a big help, too.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:48 pm

Could someone upload a screenshot of the First Impact textbook page? It's badly needed in the First Impact article. Thank you.
Rejoice, glory is ours. Our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers. The tapes have recorded their names.
I am all there is.
Negative! Primative! Limited! I let you live.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:49 pm

You mean the ADV overlay? Does it matter that they messed up on a couple of things? ::p
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:20 pm

Reichu wrote:You mean the ADV overlay? Does it matter that they messed up on a couple of things? ::p

I'll defer to your wisdom on that. Would it be wiser to use the ADV version followed by a correction, or the Japanese version followed by a translation? Have you ever translated the textbook page yourself? (I suppose so since you know they got something wrong.)
Rejoice, glory is ours. Our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers. The tapes have recorded their names.
I am all there is.
Negative! Primative! Limited! I let you live.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:29 pm

thewayneiac wrote:(I suppose so since you know they got something wrong.)

Oh, I only know about a couple things because I was prompted to check them: It's "a new type of bomb", not "N-bomb", and the Mexican guy's name is "Seymour Nunn", not "Ceimoa Nan".

But I'll upload the overlay with corrective notes in the image description.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:18 pm

we need to use the English translation of the textbook page because it just makes it more clear (besides I think it was a fairly good translation.
Who is "Codename V"?....

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:00 pm

V wrote:we need to use the English translation of the textbook page because it just makes it more clear (besides I think it was a fairly good translation.

You're saying this AFTER I uploaded the thing. :tongueflap:
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:31 pm

The books should probably get its own article.
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:22 pm

ObsessiveMathsFreak wrote:The books should probably get its own article.

Why?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Return to “Wiki Editing and Discussion”