General Editing Thread

For discussion of and submissions for the EvaGeeks Wiki and Commentary. Open to all posters.

Moderators: UrsusArctos, Board Staff

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:00 pm

V wrote:frankly, "because Reichu says so" is a good answer

I'm always open to the suggestions of others. (Except when I'm not. :devil: )

...well, I thought everyone could see stuff on the wiki, too.

We already had a devoted thread on the topic that everyone knew about; my User page isn't the most intuitive place to be asking questions about policies and guidelines, ye ken?

Where will the policies/guidelines page be at, anyway?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:07 pm

Reichu wrote:I had lots of fun with insomnia during my "Revelations Period". Just an occasional thing for me these days, too. (Though I keep on having these strange thoughts about going to help groups for men with testicular cancer.)
Good. We can be like insomnia buddies or something like that...

Reichu wrote:I guess. It kind of sucks that there's no official name for what we typically refer to as GNR (even in serious conversation), since it adds a lot of "precision" in a very succinct way. This raises a big question: <snip>
Well, when there's no given name for something, "fan-created jargon" is all we have. What I would suggest is a simple note on whatever it explaining this. Like with GNR it could read:

"There is no official term given to the Adam/Rei/Lilith Hybrid Hypber-Being, but for simplicity's sake it's often referred to as "Giant Naked Rei" or GNR".

Reichu wrote:It doesn't have "dialogue"? Yui Tapdancing Ikari! Probably should double-check some of Firefox's selections, if that's the case... (Also, you didn't catch that "compendium" didn't grammatically satisfy the sentence. ;) )
I just figured out last night how to "add" words to its dictionary, so I did so with dialogue and compendia. And if I were checking grammar on every page it would've taken me a lot longer. I was mostly just doing spelling and grammar only where I caught something.

Reichu wrote:Go to the "problem article", click the "Move" tab, and enter the new title. Voila!
Thanks.

Reichu wrote:I always wrote "MAGI", for some reason... To distinguish it from the real Magi, I guess.
This very much confuses me (not why you do it but what that means for the Wiki entires of such).

Reichu wrote:Very naisu. Mention the AATF generated by the Eva Series and Sho for extra Brownie Points. ;)
Ahhhh yes, forgot that.

V wrote:
you'd be surprised how many times people call it "Rei/Lilith" ultimately ignorinig that it's "the forbidden union of ADAM and Lilith". I just call it "the Rei/Adam/Lilith hyper-being". Y<snip>
Indeed. I'll work on a section for it shortly if it hasn't already been done.

V wrote:Excellent work on your first article EvaYojimbo.
Where's my Scooby Snack?!

V wrote:Question regarding translation: does the word "soul" mean something other than "soul" direct english? Because I thought I heard somewhere that "soul" in Eva actually mean "scan of their personality" not unlike what Naoko did with the MAGI.
I steal Reichu's answer of metabiological quantum entities. :)

BTW, you removed my body/vessel link but I had planned on using the "Vessel" page to explain the metabiology relationship of souls and vessels/bodies in NGE: hopefully with an elaboration by others regarding PWM and such.

What does our Grand Mistress think?

Also:

I added several quotes I'd collected from Anno on his page here. I really wasn't sure what to do with them, but I figured that was a fine place to put them temporarily. I definitely think these quotes need to be somewhere in EvaWiki.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:37 pm

Eva Yojimbo wrote:Good. We can be like insomnia buddies or something like that...

Now you're giving me weird thoughts.

Well, when there's no given name for something, "fan-created jargon" is all we have. What I would suggest is a simple note on whatever it explaining this. Like with GNR it could read <snip>

Something in me feels... hesitant using something like "GNR" in 'encyclopedic' articles. I mean... it stands for Giant Naked Rei, and all.

Then, coming up with truly bizarre jargon isn't unknown in the dominion of science (which I constantly look up to).

Ahhhh yes, forgot that.

You'll remember to look at the Talk pages, too, right? ;)

V wrote:I just call it "the Rei/Adam/Lilith hyper-being".

A bit too wordy to be practical, and the show itself and every canonical material I can think of just refers to it as "Lilith" (though S2 Works uses "Giant Rei", lol). Conglomerate being or not, Lilith is still dominant. (She won't stand for anything less than The Top.)

Jimbo wrote:BTW, you removed my body/vessel link but I had planned on using the "Vessel" page to explain the metabiology relationship of souls and vessels/bodies in NGE: hopefully with an elaboration by others regarding PWM and such.

A "vessel" page seems unnecessary; it would just be a rehash of material more intuitively located under "A.T. Field", etc.

The relationship between body/soul/ATF actually sounds like a T&A page to me, considering how convoluted and involved it gets.

I added several quotes I'd collected from Anno on his page

Eva Monkey has the entire "What were we trying to do here?" letter archived on his site, so description + link would be better than all-out copypasta. (Unless Aaron's version is full of typos. I forget.)
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:14 pm

Reichu wrote:Now you're giving me weird thoughts.
Weird thoughts can be good...

Reichu wrote:Something in me feels... hesitant using something like "GNR" in 'encyclopedic' articles. I mean... it stands for Giant Naked Rei, and all.
Well, this isn't the Wiki for political correctness. ;)

Reichu wrote:You'll remember to look at the Talk pages, too, right? ;)
I'll try to remember when I'm on a page. It's tough keeping track of them all.

Reichu wrote:A "vessel" page seems unnecessary; it would just be a rehash of material more intuitively located under "A.T. Field", etc.
Alrighty, I guess we can cover body, soul, and A.T. Field on that one page.

Reichu wrote:The relationship between body/soul/ATF actually sounds like a T&A page to me, considering how convoluted and involved it gets.
It probably needs one, but there's also a lot of facts we DO know that can be put on there. I mean, we pretty much know what makes up a Lilim life (soul+LCL=A.T. Field, ego-y goodness). PWM is a little more difficult, but we DO know that it can hold its shape without a soul.

Reichu wrote:Eva Monkey has the entire "What were we trying to do here?" letter archived on his site, so description + link would be better than all-out copypasta. (Unless Aaron's version is full of typos. I forget.)
That's fine, but I just figured we were moving everything to EvaWiki. There are a few typos - atleast in the "long" one.
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:50 pm

New post for new subject;

I began working on Rei I and realize nearly every damn thing regarding her existence falls under "T&A". Other than saying:

"Rei I was the first Rei to exist. She was born with the soul of Lilith and was featured in Episode 21 where she was strangled to death by Naoko Akagi."

Nearly everything else falls under T&A - especially regarding her "creation". I abandoned the page and decided to post here first (but it's saved on Jarte). How much (if at all) should we use quotes from the series when writing a page? I mean, there's some things Naoko says that lends insight into Rei I ("She reminds me of someone... Yui").

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:52 pm

Reichu I need a final answer; "formal declaration" on NERV, GEHIRN, SEELE, and MAGI sooner instead of later, as they are words that I end up using frequently while writing.
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
You say you say you want a REvolution?...
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:03 pm

V wrote:Reichu I need a final answer; "formal declaration" on NERV, GEHIRN, SEELE, and MAGI sooner instead of later, as they are words that I end up using frequently while writing.
She said it's Nerv, Gehirn, and Seele: HERE

I'm still not sure about "MAGI". I think she uses the capitalized version to distinguish the original from the others, though I find this a bit odd (in terms of the logic behind it). I think she needs to elaborate on this...

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:22 pm

V wrote:Reichu I need a final answer; "formal declaration" on NERV, GEHIRN, SEELE, and MAGI sooner instead of later, as they are words that I end up using frequently while writing.

Formal declaration is: only capitalize the first letter. Words that we see written in romaji within the show (isolated or in "small clusters") are almost always all caps. Same deal in canonical materials; e.g., sometimes seeing "EVA" and "NERV" scattered throughout Japanese text rather than their katakana counterparts.

In this all-English document, we see SEELE and GEHIRN in ALL CAPS -- but, then, so are ADAM and SECOND IMPACT. So this document probably isn't providing an example we want to go by.

Organizations typically don't WRITE THEIR NAMES IN ALL CAPS unless it's an acronym. We have no reason to think that Seele, Gehirn, and Nerv mean anything aside from the German words they borrow.

Also:

@Jimbo: I actually realized I used "Magi" in the CI, so I'll just go with that...

EDIT: Now I'm wondering what the heck the original query and my subsequent post is doing in this particular thread.
Last edited by Reichu on Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:46 pm

Since I have a few editing questions, I'll pose them all here:

I began working on Rei I and realize nearly every damn thing regarding her existence falls under "T&A". Other than saying:

"Rei I was the first Rei to exist. She was born with the soul of Lilith and was featured in Episode 21 where she was strangled to death by Naoko Akagi."

Nearly everything else falls under T&A - especially regarding her "creation". I abandoned the page and decided to post here first (but it's saved on Jarte). How much (if at all) should we use quotes from the series when writing a page? I mean, there's some things Naoko says that lends insight into Rei I ("She reminds me of someone... Yui").

ALSO:

Regarding the A.T. Field, Soul, Body/Vessel thing: After Reichu's advice not to commit a separate page for vessel, I'd thought about combining the A.T. Field page with the "body" and "soul" page but really, this doesn't make much sense. They're all connected, but essentially different things. Should Body/Vessel & Soul share the same page and leave A.T. Field to its own? Or should I go ahead and add Body and Soul onto A.T. Field page?

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:48 pm

Eva Yojimbo wrote:Regarding the A.T. Field, Soul, Body/Vessel thing: After Reichu's advice not to commit a separate page for vessel, I'd thought about combining the A.T. Field page with the "body" and "soul" page but really, this doesn't make much sense. They're all connected, but essentially different things. Should Body/Vessel & Soul share the same page and leave A.T. Field to its own? Or should I go ahead and add Body and Soul onto A.T. Field page?

How about under the heading "The A.T. Field in relation to the Body/Vessel and Soul" in the A.T. Field page?

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick » Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:54 pm

Reichu wrote:Something in me feels... hesitant using something like "GNR" in 'encyclopedic' articles. I mean... it stands for Giant Naked Rei, and all.

How about simply, where applicable, having fanon names to redirect to "officially" titled articles? For example, searching for Reiquarium would whisk you to the Dummy Plug Factory page, etc.

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:13 pm

yeah I was going to add in redirects
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
You say you say you want a REvolution?...
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:23 pm

Ornette wrote:How about under the heading "The A.T. Field in relation to the Body/Vessel and Soul" in the A.T. Field page?
A bit lengthy, but I'll think of something to get it on that page...

Return to “Wiki Editing and Discussion”