Supporting/Minor Characters

For discussion of and submissions for the EvaGeeks Wiki and Commentary. Open to all posters.

Moderators: UrsusArctos, Board Staff

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Supporting/Minor Characters

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:56 am

While contemplating whether or not Kyoko really warrants her own page (considering how little is known about her), and after creating a red-link to Dr. K in the S2 Engine article, it occured to me that we need one or two more character pages. A suggestion, at least:

"Supporting Characters"

• Kyoko Zeppelin Soryu
  • Dr. Katsuragi
  • Shiro Tokita
  • Langley
  • Frau-Doktor / Stiefmutter
  • <insert missing persons>
Would any of the other people who currently have devoted articles go under "supporting", too?

"Minor characters":

• Shinji's sensei
  • Old Teacher
  • Toji's Sister
  • Human Instrumentality Committee members (sans Keel and Gendo)
  • Unnamed Bridge Bunnies
  • Random people who turn up throughout the show to do various things
  • Random names that turn up throughout the show
Etc.

Perhaps this could be a job for Wayne?

(There would be a page for extra-canonical characters, too, but that's not really high-priority...)
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:26 pm

Yes I think there should be articles for every character, even if only a single line of dialogue.

Essentially, I want to follow the rule that "if they have a proper name, they get an article"

Some wikis do carry this to an extreme, notably the Star Trek Wiki, which keeps running lists of all "unnamed characters" such as an entire list of unnamed Klingons This make some sense for a live action show (to keep track of guest stars and actors) but for an animated show, I don't think it makes much sense. There MIGHT be a case for the elderly teacher of Class 2-A, on account of the fact that he has a SPEAKING ROLE.

But basically, I wanted to keep it as "anyone with a name gets an article" and that you might also choose to make articles for recurring unnamed voiced characters.[/quote]
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
You say you say you want a REvolution?...
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:11 pm

V wrote:But basically, I wanted to keep it as "anyone with a name gets an article" and that you might also choose to make articles for recurring unnamed voiced characters.

Well, hmm, about those names...

There are a number of people who have actual names that have (virtually) no bearing on the story. Off the top of my head: Natsuko Shinohara (radio chick, #03); Hideko (#05, girl at Shinji's school); Manda, Yasugi, Yoshizawa, Witz, Seymour Nunn (#07); Nozomu Takahashi (#11); Kotoko, Kiyomi (#15); Ryoko (#21); and, well, you get the idea.

Oh yeah, and don't forget Math Puppy. :shifty:

I'd only be inclined to give people articles to themselves if there would be enough content to justify that sort of thing. Do we really need a whole page that's populated by what might amount to a mere paragraph of content (if even that)?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:45 pm

Reichu wrote:I'd only be inclined to give people articles to themselves if there would be enough content to justify that sort of thing. Do we really need a whole page that's populated by what might amount to a mere paragraph of content (if even that)?
I agree; but for all the "one paragraph or less" characters, couldn't we just devote a "Minor Characters" page to covering all of them? I've seen a few Wikis do this and I think it's a good idea myself as nobody enjoys click fests to one sentence articles...
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:52 pm

Eva Yojimbo wrote:I agree; but for all the "one paragraph or less" characters, couldn't we just devote a "Minor Characters" page to covering all of them?

Yep, as per my original suggestion. Note: "I'd only be inclined to give people articles to themselves [i.e., devoted articles] if there would be enough content to justify that sort of thing."
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:50 pm

we might have an incidental character page for like the ones you enumerated above, but someone IMPORTANT who we only have a paragraph on should nonetheless get their own article....this IS the "Eva" wiki.....

for example, Kyoko doubtless deserves her own article.

Do we really need a whole page that's populated by what might amount to a mere paragraph of content (if even that)?

If they are as important as Kyoko.
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:33 pm

V wrote:we might have an incidental character page for like the ones you enumerated above, but someone IMPORTANT who we only have a paragraph on should nonetheless get their own article....this IS the "Eva" wiki.....

for example, Kyoko doubtless deserves her own article.

Do we really need a whole page that's populated by what might amount to a mere paragraph of content (if even that)?

If they are as important as Kyoko.

I suppose you need to define "important" here.

Along these lines, my beloved, mysterious Dr. K is invariably getting his own page, considering his XBOX HUEG contributions to the backstory and Misato's character.

What about Langley and Frau Doktor/Stiefmutter, so instrumental in motivating Kyoko to jump into that noose and furthering various complices Asuka has -- even though almost nothing is known about them as actual people, and a lot of the available information can be copypasted to both? What about Toji's sister, even, who is never once seen in the show? Think about how much character development she initiated early in the show, and how she served to conveniently launch us into the #17-#18-#19 fray. ;)

Of course, despite being an honorary "guest star" for one episode, Tokita wouldn't get a page, since no one cares about him.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:51 pm

Yes, the guy that made Jet Alone gets an article.

Toji's sister just gets covered under Toji. Not even a subheading. Just say in it that he has a sister, details we know, etc.

What does "XBOX HUEG" mean?
Who is "Codename V"?....

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:59 pm

V wrote:
What does "XBOX HUEG" mean?
I know (vaguely) what it means, but I'm wondering where it came from...
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:29 pm

さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:06 pm

"One of most common Xbox images depicts an Xbox crashing into the Earth like a meteor, leaving a large impact crater (sometimes accompanied by text claiming that this was the event that caused the extinction of the dinosaurs)."

....for shame, Rachel; First Impact was the Giant Impact that created the Moon, not that petty dinosaur rock 65 million years ago.
Who is "Codename V"?....

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:09 pm

V wrote:....for shame, Rachel; First Impact was the Giant Impact that created the Moon, not that petty dinosaur rock 65 million years ago.

Well, exactly. First Impact couldn't have killed the dinosaurs because we know an XBOX did it.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Return to “Wiki Editing and Discussion”