General Editing Thread

For discussion of and submissions for the EvaGeeks Wiki and Commentary. Open to all posters.

Moderators: UrsusArctos, Board Staff

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

General Editing Thread

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:29 pm

Since I guess we're making this our temporary base of Editing Operations I thought I'd add this up at the top:

1. For all of those editing, I highly recommend you use the newest version of Firefox browser to do so. It has a built in spell-check so you can catch errors as you type. If you don't want to go that route, then before editing anything copying and pasting it onto Microsoft Word and running it through spell-check is easy enough. This will save us from needing a proof-reader later on.

2. Feel free to post in this thread without reading through it, but the search function is your friend (more so do to how relatively small this forum is).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's my first question to the higher-ups here;

The page on 3I that currently exists reads:

SEELE's version -- SEELE wants to use the Human Instrumentality Project to bring about Third Impact, neutralizing the AT Fields that separate human beings from each other, causing all of humanity to revert into a giant ocean of LCL, a single hyper-being. This could be achieved through several alternate scenarios involving the Eva Series, the Lance of Longinus, and Lilith (though as a clone of Lilith, Evangelion Unit-01 is considered as a potential substitute for Lilith).

Beyond the "sea of LCL" Seele wanted to unite all souls together inside of Lilith and her egg / Black Moon. Then, with the destruction of the MPEs and Lance of Longinus there would be no way to undo this process - making it permanent.

Should I add this?

Also: Didn't we settle on "Seele" and "Nerv" instead of "SEELE" and "NERV"? If so I can edit these as I note them...

One final thing: I think it would be helpful if on the front page we added a list of terms / events to directly link to. Things like "3rd Impact", "Human Instrumentality Project", "Geo-Front", etc. A better idea would be to have categories like "Events", "Places", "Terms", etc.
Last edited by Eva Yojimbo on Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:14 pm

Should everyone be encouraged to use the Talk pages when asking about specific articles? I received the impression that V wants to, but I haven't seen any sort of consensus among the others.

If the Talk pages are to go unused, this thread is a good idea, and something I would be posting a lot of stuff to once I get around to making a sweep of the currently existing pages. ;)

I'll address your points later (when I recover my brain), if someone else does not. (Gawd, so much to do~!)
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:19 pm

Personally, I like this idea. Since this forum (or, atleast this section) is dedicated solely to the Wiki project it would be nice to have everything in one place. So that's my vote. Also, due to the relatively small size of this forum it will make searching for something easier. If we decide on using this I'll make a big note in my first post to invite anyone who has any questions to go ahead and make a new post about whatever it is. That way everyone knows they don't have to read through this thread in its entirety.
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick » Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:16 pm

This might be a useful thread, at least I'm not interested in actively monitoring dozens of different talk pages. Although, if this system gets adopted, we might eventually need more than one of these threads, such as "general editing thread, [category]", or even "general editing thread [topic]".

Speaking of editing, shouldn't "Lance of Longinus" redirect to "Spear of Longinus"? :tonguegrin:

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:22 pm

It looks like we have another vote for the thread route (I agree it will probably have to be expanded later.)

Dr. Nick wrote:
Speaking of editing, shouldn't "Lance of Longinus" redirect to "Spear of Longinus"? :tonguegrin:
Much to my displeasure, probably yes. :uhh:

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:55 am

Here's my first question to the higher-ups here;

The page on 3I that currently exists reads:

SEELE's version -- SEELE wants to use the Human Instrumentality Project to bring about Third Impact, neutralizing the AT Fields that separate human beings from each other, causing all of humanity to revert into a giant ocean of LCL, a single hyper-being. This could be achieved through several alternate scenarios involving the Eva Series, the Lance of Longinus, and Lilith (though as a clone of Lilith, Evangelion Unit-01 is considered as a potential substitute for Lilith).

Beyond the "sea of LCL" Seele wanted to unite all souls together inside of Lilith and her egg / Black Moon. Then, with the destruction of the MPEs and Lance of Longinus there would be no way to undo this process - making it permanent.

Should I add this?

Also: Didn't we settle on "Seele" and "Nerv" instead of "SEELE" and "NERV"? If so I can edit these as I note them...

One final thing: I think it would be helpful if on the front page we added a list of terms / events to directly link to. Things like "3rd Impact", "Human Instrumentality Project", "Geo-Front", etc. A better idea would be to have categories like "Events", "Places", "Terms", etc.

Mea culpa, EvaYojimbo, Mea culpa. I wanted to establish rules about this days ago but I keep alternatively getting injured myself (in the real world), and now my 4 year old cousin is sick so I had to take care of him for a while.

Yes, I wanted to do some "glossary" thing.

*****As the EvaWiki has a great dearth of information at the moment, the general rule is ****just physically throw stuff up there**** and we will judge its accuracy at a later point. Writing ANYTHING is good now
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
You say you say you want a REvolution?...
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:59 pm

Eva Yojimbo wrote:Much to my displeasure, probably yes. :uhh:

I didn't get "ve". Suck it up, bitch!!!! :devil:

@The Thread in General: So we eventually need to arrive at a sort of consensus, "Talk Pages or no?" (If we aren't going to use them at all, maybe there is some way to disable them or eliminate their collective existence altogether?) My vote is "YES", as this would make things easier for various reasons already forwarded, although this thread will probably need to branch out eventually, also for reasons already stated.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:44 pm

....Reichu you shouldn't even...vote on that. Wiki's absolutely need Talk pages. They're part of the process, they make it easier to track things, they're actually a heck more efficient than a large mess of forum posts.
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:31 am

V wrote:
****just physically throw stuff up there**** and we will judge its accuracy at a later point. Writing ANYTHING is good now
Ok, I'll try to work on some stuff tomorrow. I noticed a few blank pages I thought about adding to, just to get the ball rolling, so this piece of advice is helpful. :)

Reichu wrote:
My vote is "YES",
"Yes" on the talk pages of Wiki or "Yes" to using this thread as our main base? I don't see any reason why we can't do both. But I very much agree with Dr. Nick as monitoring several dozen talk pages is very difficult. There's no reason we can't use those for more specific things but this for more general things or whatever...

Also, I didn't get an answer on the "NERV" vs. "Nerv" and "SEELE" vs "Seele." So far I've relegated myself to spell and grammar checking using Firefox, so it would help if we could come to a consensus on these things before we get too far along with them being split 50/50.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:39 am

@Jimbo: BE DARING. Use your knowledge. Make articles awesome. YOU HAVE THE POWAH!!!

Hang in there -- after I get a couple more things out of the way, all should be clearer, and more help will be helicoptered in.

"Yes" on the talk pages of Wiki or "Yes" to using this thread as our main base?

Um, uh, er... I guess, yes, Discussion pages are a must, but this thread would be useful, too. We'll just wing it for now...

Also, I didn't get an answer on the "NERV" vs. "Nerv" and "SEELE" vs "Seele."

Nerv, Seele, Gehirn. No Caps.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:53 am

Reichu wrote:@Jimbo: BE DARING. Use your knowledge. Make articles awesome. YOU HAVE THE POWAH!!!
It's just getting used to something new - in this case editing Wiki. I will try to start in earnest soon. I just got a new computer (A completely new / different setup) so I'm dealing with that now too. :uhh:

Reichu wrote:Nerv, Seele, Gehirn. No Caps.
Good. I'll edit where I find. :)

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:11 am

Eva Yojimbo wrote:It's just getting used to something new - in this case editing Wiki.

Yeah, isn't it a total pain in the ass?

I suppose for a rather tame example of "being daring", look what I started doing to poor V's work here. I even put stuff on the Discussion page! OH DEER GOD!!!

Why am I even still awake?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:29 am

Yeah, I'm with ya on the awake part (it's 6am here and I've been up all night - gah!). I'm working on several pages, but everytime I link to something new I get started on it so right now I'm just working on one.

Here's a question: What do we call the Rei/Lilith Naked Hyper-Goddess in EoE? We need a page solely for her...
Last edited by Eva Yojimbo on Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:45 am

Eva Yojimbo wrote:Yeah, I'm with ya on the awake part (it's 6am here and I've been up all night - gah!).

WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU MAN?!?

Here's a question: What do we call the Rei/Lilith Naked Hyper-Goddess in EoE? We need a page solely for her...

Do we? A subsection on the "Lilith" page should suffice, IMO. (Random: Chronicle uses GNR for Lilith's double-page spread illustration. Fanboys...)

BTW, the plural of "compendium" is "compendia". ;)
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:49 am

Reichu wrote:WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU MAN?!?
I suffered with insomnia for a long time and it still crops up occasionally. I was up for 55 straight hours once - stone cold sober.

Reichu wrote:Do we? A subsection on the "Lilith" page should suffice, IMO. (Random: Chronicle uses GNR for their double-page spread illustration on "Lilith". Fanboys.)
Ok, so if we're referring to GNR just link to Lilith?

Reichu wrote:
BTW, the plural of "compendium" is "compendia". ;)
Blame Firefox. I just go through and fix mistakes it notices (it underlines misspelled words in red). Right click -> click on 'correct' word to fix. There's a few words not in its dictionary including "dialogue" and now "compendia" I guess.

Also: Apparently, changing "NERV" to "Nerv" (likewise for Seele and Gehirn) severs the link to the pages on both as both are currently under the heading using all caps. How to fix this? It's also "Magi", I assume?

Also: My first completed page from scrap (hopefully, first of many): Anti A.T. Field

I know, rather minuscule - but it's a start. :)

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:26 am

Eva Yojimbo wrote:I suffered with insomnia for a long time and it still crops up occasionally. I was up for 55 straight hours once - stone cold sober.

I had lots of fun with insomnia during my "Revelations Period". Just an occasional thing for me these days, too. (Though I keep on having these strange thoughts about going to help groups for men with testicular cancer.)

Ok, so if we're referring to GNR just link to Lilith?

I guess. It kind of sucks that there's no official name for what we typically refer to as GNR (even in serious conversation), since it adds a lot of "precision" in a very succinct way. This raises a big question: How legal is fan-created jargon in the "encyclopedic" articles, under "special circumstances"? (If it were deemed legal, the uncommonly-used "Shekinah" sounds more professional than "GNR".)

There's a few words not in its dictionary including "dialogue" and now "compendia" I guess.

It doesn't have "dialogue"? Yui Tapdancing Ikari! Probably should double-check some of Firefox's selections, if that's the case... (Also, you didn't catch that "compendium" didn't grammatically satisfy the sentence. ;) )

Also: Apparently, changing "NERV" to "Nerv" (likewise for Seele and Gehirn) severs the link to the pages on both as both are currently under the heading using all caps. How to fix this?

Go to the "problem article", click the "Move" tab, and enter the new title. Voila!

It's also "Magi", I assume?

I always wrote "MAGI", for some reason... To distinguish it from the real Magi, I guess.

Also: My first completed page from scrap (hopefully, first of many): Anti A.T. Field

Very naisu. Mention the AATF generated by the Eva Series and Sho for extra Brownie Points. ;)

BTW, I've been initiating Discussion pages here and there. I wish there was a way to see which Discussion pages HAVE been "activated" -- I don't know of any -- but they're all still in Recent Changes as of now.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:55 am

WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU MAN?!?

Quote:

Do we? A subsection on the "Lilith" page should suffice, IMO. (Random: Chronicle uses GNR for Lilith's double-page spread illustration. Fanboys...)

you'd be surprised how many times people call it "Rei/Lilith" ultimately ignorinig that it's "the forbidden union of ADAM and Lilith". I just call it "the Rei/Adam/Lilith hyper-being". Yeah, I don't think it needs its own article. It is kind of spread between Rei, Adam, and Lilith pages, but yes, I think the one place to write about it is a subsection of the Lilith article, with links from Rei and Adam directing there.

I asked on Reichu's user talk page about standards stuff. Her word is my command.

Excellent work on your first article EvaYojimbo.

Question regarding translation: does the word "soul" mean something other than "soul" direct english? Because I thought I heard somewhere that "soul" in Eva actually mean "scan of their personality" not unlike what Naoko did with the MAGI.
Who is "Codename V"?....

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:30 am

V wrote:I asked on Reichu's user talk page about standards stuff. Her word is my command.

Out of curiosity, why did you ask on Reichu's talk page? As opposed to the forum where everyone can see it.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:53 pm

V wrote:Question regarding translation: does the word "soul" mean something other than "soul" direct english?

Uhhh... Can I not think about that until I have to do a tamashii/kokoro thing in the "Soul" article? -o-;

Because I thought I heard somewhere that "soul" in Eva actually mean "scan of their personality" not unlike what Naoko did with the MAGI.

Souls in NGE are metabiological quantum entities, represented in EoE by the ubiquitous Little Red Dots.

Ornette wrote:Out of curiosity, why did you ask on Reichu's talk page? As opposed to the forum where everyone can see it.

Yeah, I thought that was sort of weird, too.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:44 pm

Out of curiosity, why did you ask on Reichu's talk page? As opposed to the forum where everyone can see it.

well that would have made it more succinct I hoped (frankly, "because Reichu says so" is a good answer)

...well, I thought everyone could see stuff on the wiki, too.
Who is "Codename V"?....

Return to “Wiki Editing and Discussion”