Who designed the Geofront?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

mike
Embryo

Who designed the Geofront?

•      
  •      

Postby mike » Wed Sep 01, 2004 7:28 am

With all of the Olympic coverage lately, many programs involving the Spanish architect Santiago Calatrava have popped up. Calatrava was the man who redesigned the grand Olympic stadium in Athens. He is now making the subway terminal for ground zero in Manhattan. Before that he designed the Alamillo brigde in Seville:

If you look at the Director's cut version 24th episode just after Kaworu talks to the Seele Monoliths (14 minutes 22 seconds into the episode) you see the exact same bridge. It's also seen in EoE during Asuka's battle against the MPs (35mins 34 secs and later 36mins 46 secs).

Looks like Gendo likes modern Spanish architecture.

Calatrava's other works can be found in his website:
http://www.calatrava.com

Asuka Langley
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Asuka Langley » Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:12 am

Woah, I had never really noticed that.
Thanks for that site link, btw.
We'll see whachu' got.

http://xrl.us/ccnh

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:53 am

Wow, nice find. Sorry to say I don't know anything about the GeoFront's design.

Kiel
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Kiel » Wed Sep 01, 2004 2:29 pm

I can't remember which ep it was, but wasn't the geofront itself found, not built.

As for the architecture of the buildings, you have a point :) It does look earily similar
The Amytiville Toaster

Makes Breakfast Spooky!

Nephilim
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Nephilim » Wed Sep 01, 2004 2:38 pm

To make it easier for all you people...
Here are the screen caps !!! :P

Episode 24:
EoE:
EoE:

All thanks to Nephilim, the screencap master!!!! 8)
*insert cool signature here*

belial11737
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby belial11737 » Wed Sep 01, 2004 3:33 pm

It is the same ...wow!!!! What a great find.....
"You might make no sense, but at least you are energetic about it" -Lord Ilpallazo

Dark FireStar
Arael
Arael

Knew IT

•      
  •      

Postby Dark FireStar » Tue Sep 14, 2004 5:01 pm

I knew there was somthing to those buildings :wink:
Don't ban me for a limited time! Either ban me for good or let me be. (I only hold grudges for a few years lol)

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

•      
  •      

Postby the_seventh_child » Wed Sep 15, 2004 5:20 am

It looks a lot to the bridge in Rio,near Patras where i live..shit it looks that much..

advent_child
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby advent_child » Sat Sep 25, 2004 7:58 am

Nephilim wrote:To make it easier for all you people...

Episode 24:
EoE:
EoE:

:shock: wow...
and yeah the_seventh_child it looks a lot...

sadsadshinji
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby sadsadshinji » Sun Sep 26, 2004 4:47 pm

er...i cant see what nephilim posted...
and i think that bridge was also where shigeru and Misato discussed some nerv secrets...

RubberSoul
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby RubberSoul » Sun Sep 26, 2004 9:00 pm

Wow. That's very fascinating...
I can only take so much retarded.

sadsadshinji
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby sadsadshinji » Mon Sep 27, 2004 8:48 am

perhaps it has some meaning in the series?

advent_child
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby advent_child » Mon Sep 27, 2004 10:56 am

sadsadshinji wrote:perhaps it has some meaning in the series?

Shit..if bridges have meaning too..what can i say...

bp32
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby bp32 » Mon Sep 27, 2004 12:34 pm

Nephilim wrote:To make it easier for all you people...

*bows before his exalted excellency*

You are most certainly the man when it comes to screen caps--I couldn't find it at all, and now I don't have to :)
"Men judge generally more by the eye than by the hand, for everyone can see and few can feel. Every one sees what you appear to be, few really know what you are."-Niccolo Machiavelli

"In religion and politics, people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second hand, and without examination."-Mark Twain

Gilgamesh
Lilith

Re: Who designed the Geofront?

•      
  •      

Postby Gilgamesh » Tue Oct 26, 2004 7:49 pm

mike wrote:With all of the Olympic coverage lately, many programs involving the Spanish architect Santiago Calatrava have popped up. Calatrava was the man who redesigned the grand Olympic stadium in Athens. He is now making the subway terminal for ground zero in Manhattan. Before that he designed the Alamillo brigde in Seville:

If you look at the Director's cut version 24th episode just after Kaworu talks to the Seele Monoliths (14 minutes 22 seconds into the episode) you see the exact same bridge. It's also seen in EoE during Asuka's battle against the MPs (35mins 34 secs and later 36mins 46 secs).

Looks like Gendo likes modern Spanish architecture.

Calatrava's other works can be found in his website:
http://www.calatrava.com

YES! I FINALLY HAVE A STUPID BRIDGE TO DO MY EVIL GEOMETRY PROJECT ON! OH GOD YES THIS MEANS I MIGHT ACTUALLY PASS THE CLASS DESPITE THE TEACHER'S EVIL ATTEMPTS TO CRUSH ALL OF MY HOPES AND DREAMS WITH HORRIBLE PROJECTS.

I just need to know how much money it took to build this thing and I'm set.

Oh, and does anyone have any enlarged pictures of the bridge as it is shown in the anime? I guess I should include my inspirations for choosing that bridge as convenient filler material.
A person...is a shadow which we can never penetrate, of which there can be no such thing as direct knowledge, with respect to which we form countless beliefs, based upon words and sometimes actions, neither of which can give us anything but inadequate and as it proves contradictory information-a shadow behind which we can alternately imagine, with equal justification, that there burns the flame of hatred and of love.
-Marcel Proust, In Search of Lost Time

sadsadshinji
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby sadsadshinji » Tue Oct 26, 2004 9:13 pm

what do you mean by enlarged? there are some shots of Misato talking with hyuuga on the bridge...thats all...
and it looks expensive...several million?

Gilgamesh
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Gilgamesh » Tue Oct 26, 2004 9:24 pm

sadsadshinji wrote:what do you mean by enlarged? there are some shots of Misato talking with hyuuga on the bridge...thats all...

I have to write an essay on the bridge, and I thought I would go into my inspiration for choosing it. So I would like some pictures of the bridge from the anime to put into the essay. However, I want them to be fairly large images...not small ones like the ones that Nephilim posted.

I also plan to buy the book "What is a Bridge? The Making of Calatrava's Bridge in Seville" by Spiro N. Pollalis to complete my research on the actual bridge. It's apparently a very detailed technical book that describes every facet of the bridge in 270 pages. Hah, he's asking for three pages, double-spaced, and I'm going to give him twenty! I'll show them once and for all that there will be no stopping me! My grade in Geometry has been steadily falling but I have an ace up my sleeve now and I intend to use it.

Hell, for once I might actually complete a school project and not do a half-assed job on it. Heh, maybe when I present my bridge I could have a figure of Unit 02 fighting the Eva series right next to it.
A person...is a shadow which we can never penetrate, of which there can be no such thing as direct knowledge, with respect to which we form countless beliefs, based upon words and sometimes actions, neither of which can give us anything but inadequate and as it proves contradictory information-a shadow behind which we can alternately imagine, with equal justification, that there burns the flame of hatred and of love.
-Marcel Proust, In Search of Lost Time

Dark FireStar
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby Dark FireStar » Wed Oct 27, 2004 4:48 pm

Gilgamesh wrote:
sadsadshinji wrote:what do you mean by enlarged? there are some shots of Misato talking with hyuuga on the bridge...thats all...

I have to write an essay on the bridge, and I thought I would go into my inspiration for choosing it. So I would like some pictures of the bridge from the anime to put into the essay. However, I want them to be fairly large images...not small ones like the ones that Nephilim posted.

I also plan to buy the book "What is a Bridge? The Making of Calatrava's Bridge in Seville" by Spiro N. Pollalis to complete my research on the actual bridge. It's apparently a very detailed technical book that describes every facet of the bridge in 270 pages. Hah, he's asking for three pages, double-spaced, and I'm going to give him twenty! I'll show them once and for all that there will be no stopping me! My grade in Geometry has been steadily falling but I have an ace up my sleeve now and I intend to use it.

Hell, for once I might actually complete a school project and not do a half-assed job on it. Heh, maybe when I present my bridge I could have a figure of Unit 02 fighting the Eva series right next to it.

Yes excellent you do what you need to and spread the Eva disease :twisted: !! Sounds like a good idea with the bridge and eva units!
Don't ban me for a limited time! Either ban me for good or let me be. (I only hold grudges for a few years lol)

sadsadshinji
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby sadsadshinji » Wed Oct 27, 2004 9:52 pm

i dunno if he would appreciate the 20 pages...then again..some teachers are such asses...
there are several programs with which you can take screen shots... its just that i dont have any...
and i think the evas are a cool idea...
maybe you can even talk about the geometry of the evas themselves?

Dark FireStar
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby Dark FireStar » Thu Oct 28, 2004 3:25 pm

Do you think the geometry of the Evas' has a signifasant meaning?

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”