A Dissection of The Opening Conversation in Episode 7

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Dave
Lilin
Lilin

A Dissection of The Opening Conversation in Episode 7

•      
  •      

Postby Dave » Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:07 pm

For reference purposes:
(Taken from the ADV subtitles)
Gendou - Once again, I owe you.
Unkown - Your not going to pay me back anyway, are you? About the materials they wanted under Freedom of Information, I handled it by giving them some falsified data. The government is proceeding with legal action, but that will be blocked any day now. So, should I do something about that project now?
Genoud - No, judging by the material you sent me, it would appear that further intervention is unnecessary.
Unknown - Then, I'll continue with the plan.

Question 1: What does Gendou owe him? Perhaps this man aided Kaji in obtaining the Adam sample, or does this refer to Jet Alone's sabotage?

Question 2: Who what wanted materials under the Freedom of Information [act]?

Question 3: What is 'that project'? I assume he is referring to Jet Alone, but you know what they say about 'assuming'?

The only reason I ask these questions is because I have this annoying feeling that Gendou and the 'Unknown' were talking about more than just Jet Alone.
Beatus vir qui suffert tentationem.

ChronoX
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby ChronoX » Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:13 pm

for question 3) most likely the human complementation project or project E
"We are born, meant to die. If I am to die, then let it be with a sword in my hand, my enemies at my feet, and my blood on my body. Come forward, come forward, come forward! And let us all meet in bloody combat."-The Rose Lord, William Rose.

Phaze
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Phaze » Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:18 pm

If that's the scene I think it is, the unknown man is a representative of somewhere else in Asia's branch of NERV.

If I recall correctly, that conversation was on the subject of the production of units-06 and 13.
The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!

ChronoX
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby ChronoX » Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:21 pm

you mean 05-13
"We are born, meant to die. If I am to die, then let it be with a sword in my hand, my enemies at my feet, and my blood on my body. Come forward, come forward, come forward! And let us all meet in bloody combat."-The Rose Lord, William Rose.

Dave
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Dave » Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:23 pm

Phaze wrote:If that's the scene I think it is, the unknown man is a representative of somewhere else in Asia's branch of NERV.

If I recall correctly, that conversation was on the subject of the production of units-06 and 13.

Right episode, wrong conversation. The one you are thinking of occured aboard an airplane. The one I posted occured via telephone, the veiw shown was Gendou's office.

Phaze
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Phaze » Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:28 pm

Dave wrote:Right episode, wrong conversation. The one you are thinking of occured aboard an airplane. The one I posted occured via telephone, the veiw shown was Gendou's office.

Well, I would assume they were still on the same subject if it was the same person. Otherwise, logic tells me they were referring to the Jet Alone, of course, there's always room for conspiracy!
Last edited by Phaze on Sat Oct 16, 2004 9:33 am, edited 3 times in total.
The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!

Shin-seiki
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki » Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:31 pm

How could you all fail to notice that person Gendo is talking to on the phone is Kaji?!

Dave
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Dave » Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:33 pm

Um, Shin-Seiki, there is no way that voice was done by the same english Voice Actor as Kaji's (unless of course he was trying to sound like a different character). Is the Japanese VA the same? I wouldn't find it hard to believe that ADV fscked this part up. If it was Kaji, it would seem I was right, that conversation did have to do with the Adam 'sample'. In either case, I would like my questions answered.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Oct 16, 2004 5:23 am

Shin-seiki wrote:How could you all fail to notice that person Gendo is talking to on the phone is Kaji?!

I think you need to rethink this one, Shin-seiki. I just checked, and the mysterious "Man (Phone)" is NOT Koichi Yamadera.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Shin-seiki
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki » Sat Oct 16, 2004 10:58 am

Reichu wrote:
Shin-seiki wrote:How could you all fail to notice that person Gendo is talking to on the phone is Kaji?!

I think you need to rethink this one, Shin-seiki. I just checked, and the mysterious "Man (Phone)" is NOT Koichi Yamadera.
Ummmm....
Well the voice sounds just like Kaji in Japanese, but, on the other hand, when I discussed this scene with thewayniac, he did say "How could that be Kaji? Wouldn't he be bringing Asuka over from Germany at this point?" So, maybe I should have listened to him... Oh well. Never mind! :oops:
(Now I really have no idea what that conversation is about...)

sadsadshinji
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby sadsadshinji » Sat Oct 16, 2004 3:55 pm

1. gendo probably has pulled a lot of favors in running nerv... the mysterious man probably did somethign for him (manipulation, assasination, sabotage)
2. the whatever heavy industries company (nippon?) or the un... one of those two probably wanted info on the evas
3. the project could be 'getting rid of the freedom of information' or 'sabotage of jet-alone' or 'get adam'

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Oct 16, 2004 7:16 pm

Shin-seiki wrote:Well the voice sounds just like Kaji in Japanese,

Yamadera is a voice I've been able to pick out when I encounter him in other anime (I think the last time was in "GitS" -- "Hey, that guy with the mullet sounds like Kaji! ...Oh, it IS Kaji!"), and the guy at the beginning of #07 sounds nothing like him to me. I actually thought you were on crack when you first proposed that it WAS Kaji. ;)
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Shin-seiki
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki » Sat Oct 16, 2004 10:26 pm

Reichu wrote:
Shin-seiki wrote:Well the voice sounds just like Kaji in Japanese,

Yamadera is a voice I've been able to pick out when I encounter him in other anime (I think the last time was in "GitS" -- "Hey, that guy with the mullet sounds like Kaji! ...Oh, it IS Kaji!"), and the guy at the beginning of #07 sounds nothing like him to me. I actually thought you were on crack when you first proposed that it WAS Kaji. ;)
Don't rub it in! :cry:
In my own defence, I can only say that thewayniac and I had just sort of assumed that that was Kaji for years; until now it had never occurred to me to check the credits and see that this mysterious person is someone else... And I never watch the dub, so I was unaware of the difference in voice there, either.

sadsadshinji
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby sadsadshinji » Sun Oct 17, 2004 4:49 pm

i thought it was Kaji, but some parts seemed inconsistent with that assumption... perhaps just some section 2 agent?

Olin of Xephon
Ramiel
Ramiel

It was Fuyutski!

•      
  •      

Postby Olin of Xephon » Mon Oct 18, 2004 11:26 pm

God, it feels good to be posting again, I feel like I've been gone forever!

When I first saw this scene (it was in english) I thought it was Fuyutski, after seeing eight dozen times, I still thought it was fuyutski.

The plan he was talking about was the sabotage of the Jet Alone, that was why it went haywire in the first place remember.

IS it supposed to be somebody else?
I asked "And where would you take me?"
At this the beast laughed, tears made of my mother's blood leaked from his eyes.
"I will take you to every place you never wanted to be, and you will hate it."
"Then I will take you to every place you've already been, and you will hate that also."
"Last I will take you to the places you have always dreamed of, and that you'll hate worst of all."

Dave
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Dave » Tue Oct 19, 2004 6:14 am

Once again, the english voice actor can not possibly be the same guy who did Fuyutski. I'm also pretty sure it is not suppose to be anyone we know. It could be that chinese guy that Gendou meets on the plain, though I am unsure.

sadsadshinji
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby sadsadshinji » Tue Oct 19, 2004 8:58 am

i doubt it...the test was done near old tokyo...like i said...probably section 2...

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”